2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Issue (torque converter clutch related)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 PM
james.riediger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issue (torque converter clutch related)

Truck is a 2001 Ram V6 auto.

The torque converter clutch disengages and engages very harshly with a noticeable clunk that is worse with higher loads and speeds.

If I get to cruising speed with the TCC locked and lightly press the brake, it unlocks with a thud and the RPMS go up 2-300, then it immediately re-locks with a thud and the RPMs drop back down, even though I'm still depressing the brake pedal.

If I press the accelerator enough to downshift, it unlocks the TCC with a clunk, then downshifts smoothly, and then re-locks the TCC with a clunk as well.

Anyone ever heard of a similar problem?

Old 05-31-2013, 05:39 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

See if any thing in this link helps. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...agnostics.html

You sure the rear end and u joints are good also.?

Old 05-31-2013, 05:47 PM
go-part
Former Vendor
Old 06-01-2013, 09:13 AM
james.riediger

I believe the U-joints are good. I've checked for play every which way I can, but I'll pull it and see if it shows any problems when it's not connected. If anything, the output shaft of the transmission has a little play in it.

It seems like there might be multiple problems. Shouldnt the TCC be disengaged any time the brake switch is tripped? That may be a separate problem from the harsh engage/disengage.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:26 PM
james.riediger

Inner workings of the brake switch seem fine, driveshaft is solid.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:15 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check TV Cable. Brake switch itself should not effect this. How long since fluid and filter have been changed? Is fluid clean, or is it brown and smell burned? Any slipping?

May want to drop pan and see how it looks. Then pull solenoids out and make sure they are clean and no debris blocking screened ports. Problem seems to be insufficient fluid pressure to maintain lock-up.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:42 PM
james.riediger

Lockup is maintained fine, it's just if I brake slightly the TCC unlocks harshly and then immediately relocks. It will even relock and stay locked as I slow down then make it hard to accelerate again. I believe the harsh locking/unlocking is a separate issue, maybe the tcc is glazed? Is there anything in the valve body to gently apply pressure to the TCC, like an accumulator-like device?

The fluid looks and smells good, I just dropped the pan and there's a tiny bit of sludge on the magnet, but nothing extreme. Not sure the last time it was changed.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:08 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A little sludge in pan on magnet is normal.

TCC should be noticeable, but not real harsh. I can't see what brake switch would have to do with it though. Only thing that should effect other than braking is brake lights and cut off cruise control.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:17 PM
james.riediger

When you hit the brakes, it should unlock the torque converter. Don't think it should be able to lock it with the brakes depressed at all. Best thing I've found searching the web is a harsh lock/unlock could be a glazed tcc clutch. I haven't been able to find a replacement torque converter for sale at normal parts stores yet, or I'd probably just replace it.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Paul DeHayes
Professional

I believe you have a 42re tranny IIRC. I found one here for 260 bucks, which include $50 core. Do some shopping, it works out well

http://autotransparts.com/cart.php?m...t_detail&p=346

Quick Reply: Transmission Issue (torque converter clutch related)