2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Noise Only On Acceleration??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:42 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on the flex in flex plate.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 PM
DodgeRam10
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So it may be flexing more at higher speeds which may be causing the noise? Just so I can get this tcase chain off my mind, is it possibly for it to make this noise on throttle if it was a little stretched? I ask because it is a similar sound to a stretched or loose cam chain on a four stroke dirt bike.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:39 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you checked the fluid level in the t case? and what shape its in? Also you could remove the rear DS and then the rear tailshaft housing of the t case and inspect the C clip retaining the rear bearing in place, and while you are in there install what's called a t case saver. The fsm should have a test for t case chain stretch you might look into it.

Edit: With the DS out check the pinion bearing.

Last edited by merc225hp; 06-02-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 AM
DodgeRam10
Veteran

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Have you checked the fluid level in the t case? and what shape its in? Also you could remove the rear DS and then the rear tailshaft housing of the t case and inspect the C clip retaining the rear bearing in place, and while you are in there install what's called a t case saver. The fsm should have a test for t case chain stretch you might look into it.

Edit: With the DS out check the pinion bearing.

Yes as stated previously, I just changed the t case fluid. It was good,no metal chunks or shavings. Ive heard of the tcase saver but wasnt sure if thaqt was for the back of tcase or where the front ds go into it. How would I check the pinion bearing? Just see if theres any up and down play at rear where the ds bolts on?

Old 06-03-2013, 12:36 AM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by DodgeRam10
Yes as stated previously, I just changed the t case fluid. It was good,no metal chunks or shavings. Ive heard of the tcase saver but wasnt sure if thaqt was for the back of tcase or where the front ds go into it. How would I check the pinion bearing? Just see if theres any up and down play at rear where the ds bolts on?
Thats a basic test yes, any chance this truck has a lsd in the rear diff? you might just want to pull the tire's, drums, the rear cover and have a look see what if anything is going on in there, look for metal chunks (part of the clutch disks) this is also a good time to check the pinion bearing a little better than just looking for side to side play.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:48 AM
DodgeRam10
Veteran

yes it has lsd, i was planning on tearing into it and see how everything looked since these lsd are time bombs but was trying to figure out this noise first. Could it be the rear diff under load?

Old 06-03-2013, 12:53 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You never stated the general area the sound is coming from, like somewhere up front or rear, etc.

Based on your original post and some other comments, I'm agreeing with symptoms consistent with the LSD C-Clips going kaput.

The most pronounced I heard mine was slowly turning in a parking lot.

Have you done donuts in this truck? Burnouts?

Old 06-03-2013, 01:12 AM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by DodgeRam10
yes it has lsd, i was planning on tearing into it and see how everything looked since these lsd are time bombs but was trying to figure out this noise first. Could it be the rear diff under load?
Hard to say without being there but yes this could be the noise you are hearing and feeling.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 PM
DodgeRam10
Veteran

It sounds like its coming from the front but if I move my 4x4 shift boot I can hear it like its below the middle of truck, could be echoing though so hard to tell.

Quick Reply: Bad Noise Only On Acceleration??