2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bent frame at hitch points

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 AM
nokaoii
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent frame at hitch points

I have a used 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT.

I havent done much towing with it until lately. I've noticed the hitch doesnt seem to be too level. And it wiggles up and down. I looked underneath and the frame appears to be bent up on the bottom of the C (shaded in red).

That whole back section doesnt appear to be anywhere near square with the top portion of the frame. Also of the four hitch bolts, the driver's side front has pulled all the way thru the hole on the frame.

What are my options on getting this repaired? Should I hammer it out or whatever the best I can and put a bigger bolt and washers thru the one that pulled out?

The most I pull is a dual axle trailer with about 1000lbs of mowing equipment on it, but not very often. And I havent done that since I found this issue.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Find a good welding/frame shop, have them reinforce those areas on the frame, and re-mount the hitch. You would be seriously underwhelmed if your trailer/hitch came loose on the road...... safety chains ain't gonna do squat if the part they are hooked to comes off as well.

Quick Reply: Bent frame at hitch points