2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tune up recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 07:30 PM
fast360
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tune up recomendations

Hi, i have a 1998 ram with the 5.9 in it with about a 120,00 miles on it and i think its about time for atune up. what kind of spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor do yall recomend. and how much are we talking price wise. thanks.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:48 AM
01ramclassic
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tune up recomendations

I don't know the best plugs to use but I used Bosch Platinum 4 plugs. Cost me about 50.00 I think for the plugs only. The truck would not even have to turn over all the way before it would start. They were great but I don't recommend them. My gas milege went down because of these plugs. I found out from a dodge mechanic that on my 2001 ram 5.9l that the plugs were too "hot" for the computer. Because of this the computer fed my engine more gas than it needed. I was also told by him that champions were the best to go with on my truck. I don't remember the exact number but they are a little cheaper and my gas milege is back to where it should be and I can't tell a difference in performance. Hope this helps you. -Tyler

Old 09-26-2005, 02:52 AM
dodgefreak
All Star

Champion plugs are the OEM plugs, If you want a good set of plugs go with AutoLites or NGK, both are Ram owner Favs. and will give you a nice cool spark.

any type of brass cap and rotor will work best. As for wires go with MSD Super Conductors. Got mine 3.5 years ago for 45 bucks and have had no problems at all!

Old 09-26-2005, 03:57 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Personally, I'd get a set of Champion TRUCK plugs. They cost a bit more than regular Champions, but they should last quite a long time. I have a set in my truck and I love em.

Quick Reply: tune up recomendations