2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Painting entire truck with rustoleum bed liner spray

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 04:00 PM
pruppert04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Painting entire truck with rustoleum bed liner spray

Hey all,

I just finished my truck bed with this stuff and really like the look and feel of it...and i want to spray my entire truck with it... do i need the same prep work? (light sanding and priming?) also how does this stuff hold up to the UV rays? does it fade super easy? if so how can i prevent that from happening?

Thanks so much everybody!!

Last edited by pruppert04; 06-19-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:10 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to DF In the future , please do not post threads in this section. Post them in the Tech section. Thanks. I'll move it for you.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:55 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes u still need to sand the whole truck, and use a terry cloth or whatever to get the crap off after. i rolled it on, rather than spray, when i did it to my ram. turned out pretty good. as far as staying dark black, it wasnt long after it totally dried and cured, that the darkness went away. if your wanting super dark then i would sugest mixin in some actual black paint on the 2nd coat or whatever. but i have never seen it done, so thats up to you.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:51 PM
pruppert04

Originally Posted by ryan0714
yes u still need to sand the whole truck, and use a terry cloth or whatever to get the crap off after. i rolled it on, rather than spray, when i did it to my ram. turned out pretty good. as far as staying dark black, it wasnt long after it totally dried and cured, that the darkness went away. if your wanting super dark then i would sugest mixin in some actual black paint on the 2nd coat or whatever. but i have never seen it done, so thats up to you.
hmm yeah i sanded the entire thing down with 120 grit sand paper and a belt sander and then used mineral spirits to wipe it down, i did use spray on and it actually looks really good i like the rough look to it

Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Mineral spirits? Ruh Roh Roerge...... MS doesn't evaporate nicely like metal conditioner, or even paint thinner.... that may become a problem later.. At least it is easy to fix.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:55 PM
garam
Professional

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...int-job-2.html

I was going to do a red stripe down the sides but ended up bed lining the whole thing except the tail gate. Looked OK and probably would have looked better if I used a compressor and compatible sprayer. I got rid of the truck earlier this year and now have a full size Bronco. The rocker panels looked great and I didn't do anything to it until I bedlined the rest of the truck. I did put some Armor All on the old bedliner ( after I did the rest of the truck) and it made it look just as black but a little shinyer than the new parts. So if you do and it starts looking a little bad or faded try Armor All on it.

Before I did mine I looked through a lot of forums, YT videos and web pages about bedliners. I've saw several posts etc saying the spray bomb Rustoleum and others didn't hold up well. I don't know how well they prepped their vehicle nor the spray can stuff but the non spray bomb Rustoleum bedliner worked well for me at least as far as keeping it's color. Didn't get a chance to abuse it so I'm not so sure if it will hold up to a lot of abuse or scrapes.

Quick Reply: Painting entire truck with rustoleum bed liner spray