2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 ram 1500, P0601 code, replaced ecm, still won't start and same code - help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgiaberryMobley

We have historically had battery problems with this truck - not battery, I guess, but connection. Had to replace ends on both battery cables recently - that is a new thing we did?! and we always have corrosion build up on terminals - builds up so fast - has to be cleaned every couple of weeks it seems like or it gets to the point that the truck won't start. Battery always checks out ok at auto zone battery check.
I've had the same problems not only with this Dodge but with the previous vehicle I was driving. Got fed up with the cable problem and got some cables with the molded ends at O'Reillys, cleaned the posts and put them on with some dielectric grease. End of problem.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:32 PM
generaljr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the po601 could be set when very low voltage is detected, its not necessarily a real internal failure in the computer, at some time i had the same battery cables corroded constantly and a intermittent engine stall, and the IAC valve going bad, the positive cable that goes to the starter was close enough to the engine (or tranny?) to cause corrosion and electrical issues, (Was covered in white-green dust)

Old 06-23-2013, 07:21 AM
GeorgiaberryMobley

thanks for the tip on the cables with molded ends - I will check that out.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:08 PM
GeorgiaberryMobley

Well, I sent the computer back for a refund - hope I actually get one.

Sent the truck off to a shop in town. They just called saying that the truck is ready and all it needed was a distributor cap and rotor. Under $130.00.

I asked about the computer/code. Guy said truck probably misfired and caused the code. That he could hook it up to their machine and read code but that would cost $50 and he usually does not do it if he doesn't think it is needed. All he would do is clear the code if it is still reading it. I can get my BIL to clear the code, so I will go pick it up as is.

Well, there you have it. No new computer. I learned a lot though. Got my fingers crossed that my truck actually works guess I will find out in the morning when I pick it up.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:57 AM
GeorgiaberryMobley

Good news - my truck is working great.

Bad news - my car was running very poorly on the way to pick up the truck and check engine light was flashing. Left the car at the mechanic and they see coolant under the spark plugs - cracked head they say. So we have gone from bad to worse. My car is 2003 Ford Focus ZTW so I guess I need to go make friends over at the ford forum now...

Thanks a lot for all the great advice!

Old 06-28-2013, 12:26 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

Well at least it looks as if you found decent mechanic to work on it.

Dave

Quick Reply: 01 ram 1500, P0601 code, replaced ecm, still won't start and same code - help!