2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Steering Pressure Hose Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 11:53 PM
grobertson29
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pressure Hose Replacement

Hi all,

I just registered here and hope to find some support on my first issue with my 94 Dodge Ram 5.9L Diesel Standard Cab. I am totally new to working on engines, but the guy who sold me the truck was willing to help with diagnosing the issue with my power steering.

We first found the oil level was very low. Filled it up, started the truck, and was back to normal functioning.

Then, upon lock to lock turning in place, We found a pinhole leak in the factory's pressure hose.

I got the new part today and need some help with defining the process of removing and reinstalling the pump.

I did some tinkering today with trying to remove the pressure hose, but there was no clearance to get at the nuts that attach the hose to the pump.

So my question now: How to remove the pump to allow access to the hose attachment?

The pump is connected to the engine with two diagonally opposed bolts. I got one loose, and tomorrow will try to get the other loose if I can get some go aheads from more experienced users. The previous owner recommended this procedure.

I am hoping that is all it will take to get it loose enough to access the hose.

Anyone have experience with this specific procedure on this model?

Thanks
Graham

Old 06-23-2013, 01:46 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe you'll find some good procedures in a Haynes manual and the factory service manual as I'm not familiar with a Diesel. There are some diesel folks here that hopefully will respond.

You can get the FSM from this forum. Go out of this thread and look for the 2nd Gen FAQ/DIY subforum. Look for a thread stating the Factory Service Manual and then you can download it in a PDF file format.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:09 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

edit- i just noticed you said - diesel....
never mind. not many diesel people around here. you may need to try dieseltruckresources or one of the other mostly diesel sites.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...p-install.html

Last edited by dhvaughan; 06-23-2013 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pressure Hose Replacement