2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck stalling when shifting into Gear.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:16 PM
OHDMC13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck stalling when shifting into Gear.

I have a 1995 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins engine, auto trans. The truck starts fine everything seems good, but when you shift into Reverse or Drive the truck cuts out, I was told it could be the torque coverter,a vacuum line, or bad transmission. Any ideas on what could be the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:15 AM
candymancan
Veteran

Have you had the throttle body cleaned before ? Taken out the Idle air control valve and cleaned the stem on it ? That can cause high idle in park and im sure it can cause stalling in drive when transmission load is put on it

Old 06-26-2013, 01:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by candymancan
Have you had the throttle body cleaned before ? Taken out the Idle air control valve and cleaned the stem on it ? That can cause high idle in park and im sure it can cause stalling in drive when transmission load is put on it
It's a Cummins, I doubt it has any of that stuff.

@OHDMC13 Post your question in the diesel section.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:26 AM
OHDMC13

The TC is shot, I found a rebuilt Jasper transmission with a 3 year warranty including labor costs for 2200 so I'm gonna have them replace it. Could of got it replaced a little cheaper, but if the trans went again they wouldn't of covered the cost of labor. This is a dump truck by the way.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:56 PM
xplorer82
Professional

If for some reason it happens again after that I would look toward the crank sensor. I don't have my FSM on this phone but I think the Cummins has one as well. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time..

That was the cause of my stalling (only in reverse tho) and another guy had stalling in reverse too and was the crank senator as well. I don't know, just a shot in the dark.

Edit... for the hell of it, if the Cummins has a crank sensor I would have that installed new as well since they are right there. Not too expensive and would save a headache later down the road (again, only if the Cummins has one, I'm thinking I read they do)

Last edited by xplorer82; 06-29-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Truck stalling when shifting into Gear.