2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need V10 Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 AM
5deano6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need V10 Help Please!

Hi, I have a 97 RAM 2500, with V10 and 5 speed, 4.10 gears, stock sized tires. I bought it from the original owner and it has 89k miles. It is was in really good shape but I have been working on some issues. I have a couple issues left which have me stumped.

-The first complaint is I don't feel like it tows as well as it should (power wise). I do live in Colorado but our camper is only 5k pounds dry. We have only towed it a couple times but it struggles on the hills. The engine seems to run fine, I have replaced the plugs and wires. There are no codes stored. The cats were replaced about 3k miles ago, by the previous owner. I finally broke down and took it to the dealer for diagnosis and all they found was a rattling in the muffler. Suspecting a possible exhaust clog, I took it to a muffler shop who drilled holes in the exhaust and checked for backpressure. They said the cats and muffler were flowing freely. But, they did put a camera in their inspection hole and noticed the "new" cats were basically falling apart (not sure if it was both). So, what is causing that and could that cause be hampering the towing performance? The plugs look light brown and maybe even more toward white when removed so it is not running rich. I am not loosing coolant so don't suspect coolant in the exhaust. (these are a couple things that I have read can damage cats). I replaced the O2 sensors last night but really didn't notice a difference on the test drive. I have not done a compression test yet. Any ideas?

-The second complaint is an engine clatter (almost sounds like a diesel) during two scenarios. The first is right at startup. The first 2-3 seconds after the engine starts, I hear it. The second scenario is when I am going through the gears are are in the 2000 to 3000 rpm range, I will hear it if I kind of feather the throttle. I think it is mainly at neutral throttle. I know there is a TSB on the purge valve solenoid mounting bracket (better mechanical isolation when mounted). Mine is actually mounted in rubber so I am not sure how the bracket could really be the cause. I have replaced the purge valve and the noise (especially at startup) did improve. But even if I disconnect the electrical connector from the valve and take it out for a drive, the 2500 rpm clatter is still there. Maybe separate issues.
(I actually replaced the valve twice because when I pulled it out the first time, I saw some charcoal from the canister in the hose. I drive it before I could replace the canister so I replaced it again when I put in the new canister)

I am hoping someone has some experience with these issues. I really want to keep the truck but I bought it to tow the camper and don't feel will be satisfied with the performace as it is.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:54 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps the first step is to do a compression test, maybe a leakdown test too depending on what your numbers look like.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sct tune it? (probably won't make much of a difference)

hopefully you aren't running octane booster in there... that stuff will kill a cat in no time.

can always trade it in for a diesel with some injectors and pump tweaking, you won't be bogging on any more hills...

hell mine will hit triple digits pulling your camper up a decent grade with ease...

but even a very mildly tuned rattler will hold freeway speeds on a grade with a load.