2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission seal question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 PM
RedRonda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission seal question

98 2500 5.9 gas. been having leak issues not really bad but to the point where i have to check it every week or so. already replaced my oil sending unit was having a shop look and see where else it may be coming from because it was hard for me to tell. he told me it was the shift shaft seal and the throttle shaft seal. said i should have them change the filter while they are there and that is exactly what i was told not to do. i have only had the truck for two years and have no idea if it has ever been serviced before. im at 204k miles. I know changing the fluid and filter might mess up the transmission with all the losened junk.

this whole time i thought it was an oil leak from my distributor seal not transmission fluid or are those seal before the transmission?

i would appreciate any advise, i dont have much experience with transmissions.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:44 PM
RedRonda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nvm i figured it out. i blame the blonde hair

Old 07-04-2013, 09:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Blonde? But.... your username says Red??

With that many miles on the truck, changing the filter IS a bit of a gamble, but, I would go ahead and do it anyway, if you don't know the last time it was changed. Flushing the trans at that mileage would be a VERY bad idea.

So what is actually leaking? Is it trans fluid? Or oil?

Old 07-04-2013, 11:26 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Flushing is a problem, a basic fluid/ filter change should not cause a problem at all, as far as I know. And +1 on letting us know what the leak was.

Quick Reply: transmission seal question