2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need the experts advice - Frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 04:53 PM
swartz_69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need the experts advice - Frustrated

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for reading my question as I have learned...go straight to the experts when stuck. I know there are multiple threads on the same thing but I have read so much that I am just going to post my experience and see what you can come up with. I just got a 2001 Ram 1500 w/ 5.9 liter. The check engine light was on when I got it and the code was for a misfire in cyl 1. No biggie I thought. When ever I get a vehicle I always like to change all the plugs, wires, fluids etc. so I know where I stand and also learn about the engine. (This is my first Dodge). Before I did everything it wasn't running that rough but now at idle it is rougher and when driving it will pop and backfire, especially when I get on it and at higher RPMs. By no means am I an expert mech but I have done: rechecked the wires and plugs, I've seafoamed it, cleaned just about every inch, and still same thing. So I am beyond frustrated now and at a loss. I've read so many different posts and everyone has some different diagnosis and I really hate to pay money to take it to a shop when I know it is something that I can fix.
Any help would be great!

Old 07-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You route the wires properly? There's one right way and a lot of wrong ways that can lead to crossfire. It's covered in the Haynes manual as well as the factory service manual you can download from the FAQ,DIY section.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:52 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Get the manuals as stated, and a cheap multimeter. This way you can check most if not all the sensors and coil. Also a cheap fuel pressure gauge. Here is the TSB for routing the plug wires , http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm

Also, read the plenum sticky on top of page.

You can also try cleaning the TB and IAC. Please remove negative battery cable before replacing or cleaning ANY sensors. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...n-the-iac.html

Old 07-05-2013, 06:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

welcome to DF. you came to the right place.

if it runs worse after you tuned it up, then you introduced a problem.
most likely 2 plugs wires crossed.

start over and redo everything. locate the #1 cylinder marking on the outside of the cap, and write down your firing order.
also remove your dist cap and make sure its not cracked.
also make sure its seated properly and not jacked up.

you didn't remove the distributor from the engine or twist it did you?

its going to be something simple....

Old 07-06-2013, 01:48 AM
Slomojo
Veteran

Verify that the plugs are clamped down tightly by the clamps at the end of the plug wires.

I had cylinder misfires that boggled my mind terribly until I was advised by a mechanic that my wires may be to blame. I knew the wires were good as well as the plugs, however, what I also knew was that it was certainly possible that the wires had become crossed and or connected improperly to the wrong cylinders. I checked the wires from top to bottom and found nothing out of place, however when touching the plug wires I noticed that they were clamped down, but not so tightly that there was zero play or movement between the plug terminals and the plug wire ends clamping down upon them. When I had realized that my cables may have only been intermittently able to contact my plugs, I realized the cause for my problems. I carefully used some pliers to squeeze and thus tighten up the clamp that clamps of the plug wires down around the spark plugs for each and every one of my spark plug cables and then the problem was solved!

Also, if that is not the case, you may want to consider your O2 sensors as the source of your problems. Right now I have very bad misfiring, MIL Code Number: P0141, P0132, P0138, and therefore my truck is not drivable. I so far have found that the O2 sensor signal going to the Engine Computer is around 5 volts which indicates a short circuit to my signal wire wiring from some other source which is why my truck is having misfiring issues.

I sincerely hope that you don't have the same issue as I have, but if the overall check of the spark plug wires, the routing of the spark plug wires themselves, and the clamps connecting the wires to the plugs yields no results, then you may consider looking into the condition of your O2 sensor operation.

Talking with a legit mechanic and potentially finding a master mechanic to help brainstorm or otherwise take over entirely may be another good way to fast track solving this issue. Don't be afraid to try getting into that conversation, in my case when my plug wires were not tightly hanging on, it was the dude behind the counter managing the shop who pointed out which direction to look in, in order to solve my issue. You may be so fortunate to find something similar and since talk is cheap you may find its is worth the expense.

Last edited by Slomojo; 07-06-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:30 PM
swartz_69

You guys truly are the masters which is why I went here first! Re-wired exactly as the schematics said and it is purring like a baby lion. Truly a heartfelt thanks to you all for the help!!

Quick Reply: Need the experts advice - Frustrated