2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 1500 2wd torque converter tick.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 PM
xplorer82
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 1500 2wd torque converter tick.

ive done my reading on this, going to check out my bolts and inspect the flexplate. but I have a few questions I didnt see mentioned/asked.

1. when I turn the crank over to check all the bolts, should I take out the spark plugs? never had to manually turn a engine over so im unsure. i know to only turn it the same direction it spins when running.

2. after i spin the engine to get to the TC bolts, am i going to have to do any TDC stuff (my guess is no, but)? again, never had to do this so just need to ask even if it is a dumb question.

ever since i bought the truck, i would sometimes get a tick in reverse, neutral and drive. well months later it is now doing it every time i drive it. i never hear it above 5mph(stock exhaust so not loud enough to drown it out).

i only hear it at a dead stop/idling, in R-N-D. goes away once i start gaining speed.

but, now within the past week i have heard it doing it a couple times after coming to a stop, putting it in park and idling. so it is obviously getting worse and now this weekends project.

Last edited by xplorer82; 07-16-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Taking out the plugs sure makes the engine easier to turn....

Don't have to do anything else. Just put it back together.

Sure it isn't just an exhaust leak?

Old 07-17-2013, 10:18 AM
xplorer82
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Taking out the plugs sure makes the engine easier to turn....

Don't have to do anything else. Just put it back together.

Sure it isn't just an exhaust leak?
Thanks bud.

I wish it was just a exhaust leak.. truck has no exhaust leaks at all..

Another question, when I turn the crank do I put the truck in neutral? I would think so, but want to make sure.

Again thanks. Much appreciated.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Nope. Leave it in park. Torque converter/engine can turn just as easily in park as it can in neutral, or any other gear for that matter.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Timbo65h
Amateur

Sounds like the flexplate. My wife's 5.9 Durango did the same think. First it was just a very light tick then the more it cracked the louder it got. At first you couldn't hear it except idling then it got a lot worse so while you have the dust cover off and spinning the engine shine a light on the flexplate and look for cracks. I couldn't see this one I had to take a pry bar and bend it just a little as I sun it until I found the crack.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:48 AM
xplorer82
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Nope. Leave it in park. Torque converter/engine can turn just as easily in park as it can in neutral, or any other gear for that matter.
OK, thanks again bud.

Originally Posted by Timbo65h
Sounds like the flexplate. My wife's 5.9 Durango did the same think. First it was just a very light tick then the more it cracked the louder it got. At first you couldn't hear it except idling then it got a lot worse so while you have the dust cover off and spinning the engine shine a light on the flexplate and look for cracks. I couldn't see this one I had to take a pry bar and bend it just a little as I sun it until I found the crack.
Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the info. I will be sure to inspect it good.

Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: 1998 1500 2wd torque converter tick.