2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My rear main bearing cap is cracked. Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 04:01 PM
rydog2624
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
rydog2624, we started with a possibly cracked rear main cap and now we are talking about an oil pan or rear main seal leak. Can you please provide more details, such as where the leak is occurring? If possible, pictures that show the leaking area would be helpful, too. I certainly understand how frustrating it is to perform a repair and the repair not work out as desired - been there many times, however, sharing all the details about the issue(s) on forum(s) usually provides good feedback for a plan to solve the issue. :-)
You are right AtomicDog. I was just frustrated. I believe it's my fault for the leak. I didn't use any seal when I re-installed the rear cap that is below the oil pump. I didn't use fishing line to hold the gasket in place. The holes looked lined up but it could be pinched somewhere. I will post pics later. The leak is a lot slower than the original leak and not as much. It took awhile the first time but today should take as long since I know what to remove I did do the plenum fix before all this and that is when I noticed the leak. It is leaking between the engine and the tranny. I have also seen valve covers could be the issue. I really hope not though.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:20 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

on the rear main seal, did you use the RTV at the 2 key places and the anaerobic sealer on the flange?

on the oil pan, did you put a little rtv in the inside corners?

Old 08-04-2013, 04:31 PM
rydog2624
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I didn't that is my most likely the cause of my leak lol I will take care of it tonight.

Quick Reply: My rear main bearing cap is cracked. Need help!!