2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Ziggy2112
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny issues

I am having issues with my 5sp tranny.

first off I have a warped flywheel that causes a shudder at start up...I will replace that, but sense I have to drop the tranny to do it, I am wonder if this transmission is worth keeping.

the issue it has are:

bearing whine (I assume pilot or throw out) goes away when clutch pedal is pressed. ,,,maybe related to the way over worn flywheel???

also in 5th gear, when decelerating..(like going down hill) without my foot on the gas or break, it will pop outta gear. (not always, but frequent enough!)
when cold weather is here, it is hard to get it into first gear, AND it grinds when going into second until its warmed up.

I thought maybe a rebuild while its out, but is it cheaper to just replace? also is there only 1 style of tranny, or do I need to know the specific make and model?

Thanks for any help, or advise

Old 08-03-2013, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

The squeakys will go away when you do the flywheel, if you replace clutch, p-plate, and throw-out bearing as well. (t-o bearing is prolly where your squeak is coming from.)

Pops out of gear: Do a search on NV3500 fifth gear nut fix.

See if you can find a low mileage trans, then compare prices with a rebuild..... Sounds like yours is going to need new syncros at the very least.

Quick Reply: tranny issues