2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best plan to fix ugly paint?/Has anyone worked with...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best plan to fix ugly paint?/Has anyone worked with...

Alright, the truck was a truck in its previous life and thus has some pretty ugly paint in spots. The bed has never seen a bed liner of any sort and is mostly scratched down to the primer . Plus there's a number of good scratches across the hood and fenders, plus sizable chips and some surface rust on the rockers.

So I'm trying to come up with an economical way to make it look better and have a few ideas I'm trying to decide between.

For the scratches, has anyone used this product? http://www.drcolorchip.com/

For the bed liner, I'd really like to go DIY (and yes, it's not as good as Line-X or Rhino. Okay. Got it.) and I understand that it won't be bullet proof, but I'm trying to decide between a spray like Raptor or SEM, or a roll on like http://www.grizzlygrip.com/. Has anyone used this Grizzly Grip? Any opinions on the sprays? I don't haul regularly, mostly the occasional trip to Home Depot for some lumber for a house project.

For the rockers, I'm thinking I might get some tintable spray bed liner and color match it to the truck and take it all the way up to the body line, but then I found this: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ and it seems to be pretty simple as well. Does anyone have any experience with this company?

All in all, I know it's never going to be perfect, but I'd like to think anything is better than it is now.
Does anyone else have any suggestions that I've not considered?

Old 08-14-2013, 09:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Your truck is 12 years old, anyone that claims being able to match the paint by the factory paint code is lying.

The scratch/chip filling touch-up paints look good from a distance, but, as you get closer, it becomes obvious that it has been done.

The roll-on/spray-on badliners aren't as good as some of the high-zoot products, but, they aren't as expensive either.... and can be repaired. Just make sure you are meticulous on your prep work. Should turn out fairly well. (several members have done so, with good results.)

Keep in mind that your paint is base-coat/clear-coat. Just using some touchup paint is never going to be perfect..... may look better than it does now though.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:10 AM
lone wolf #2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the roll on liners and the spray can liners and I really don't care for them much. If it were me, I would go with a diy spray in like AL's liner/Scorpion liner, It's more like the high build pro sprayed liners but much less expensive. It just uses a texture spray gun like you would use for texturing a ceiling. I've used the Al's/Scorpion liner at work on dumpsters and it holds up real well, just follow the directions for prep exactlly.

Quick Reply: Best plan to fix ugly paint?/Has anyone worked with...