2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fuel pressure diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:20 PM
motorboatinjesus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pressure diagnosis

Hello guys, from researching I believe my problem is the fuel pump but just want to make sure.

So for the last few months I have been having the long starts, but if I hold the key for a few seconds on and off it will fire right up. It cranks hard but no start for awhile. But I notice whenever I remove my gas cap there is no pressure releasing from the tank. I had to get a new one recently and maybe it doesnt fit right or does that make sense for a bad fuel pump?

My fuel pump is exactly a year old, I figured it would last longer

Old 08-14-2013, 09:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Bought an air-tec pump, didn't you.

Tank pressure is independent of the fuel pump. Sure sounds like the check valve in the system is going bad though. Does the truck run good once it starts? Is the long crank always a problem? Or just after sitting for several hours?

Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 PM
motorboatinjesus
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Bought an air-tec pump, didn't you.

Tank pressure is independent of the fuel pump. Sure sounds like the check valve in the system is going bad though. Does the truck run good once it starts? Is the long crank always a problem? Or just after sitting for several hours?
I bought it from merc225HP last year, believe it was a delphie.

Anyway the truck seems to hesitate a little bit once I start it. Its not too bad though. And the long crank is only after sitting, when warm it fires right up.

Why would there be no pressure in my fuel tank? I always used to have pressure release when I removed my cap

Old 08-14-2013, 11:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wow, A delphi pump only lasted a year? That is RARE.

Pressure in the tank is very much weather related. On 'nice' days, you won't have as much. On warmer days, you should notice it. The 98 truck should the the leak detection pump, so, if there were a problem with the gas cap, or vapor recovery system, it *should* set a code.

Sounds like just the check valve in the regulator is failing. Wouldn't hurt to slap a pressure gauge on it, and see what you get though. (should be right around 50 PSI.)

Old 08-15-2013, 12:12 AM
motorboatinjesus
Rookie

Sadly I dont have a gauge, cant check it anytime soon. But I also noticed when I got home from work the gas tank was making alot of gurgling noises. Normal I know but it seemed more than normal.

Also in all my previous trucks there was a fairly prominent 'ssssss' of pressure release from the gas cap. It just seems odd to me there is nothing now.
Doesnt seem weird to anyone else?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

See if you can rent a gauge from your local parts store. Testing when the condition is actually presenting itself is best.

Quick Reply: fuel pressure diagnosis