2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help...is this the transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 11:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by SquirmyPug
Check to make sure the tires are round. I had a bulge form about a month ago, caused the same trouble. $207 for a new tire and everything is fine.
This. Easy to check, easy to miss. I had a SEVERE vibration on my truck, that started out as a slow wobble at low speeds, and developed into a teeth rattling vibration at 60..... turned out to be a rather large bubble on one of my front tires, where the tread had separated..... when I looked at the tire off the truck, (at the tire shop...) it became patently obvious what my problem was......

Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 AM
SquirmyPug
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
This. Easy to check, easy to miss. I had a SEVERE vibration on my truck, that started out as a slow wobble at low speeds, and developed into a teeth rattling vibration at 60..... turned out to be a rather large bubble on one of my front tires, where the tread had separated..... when I looked at the tire off the truck, (at the tire shop...) it became patently obvious what my problem was......
That's what happened to me, but I checked a few times and only found it at the tire shop. Guess I parked on the spot every time I checked

Old 08-19-2013, 01:36 PM
kc58ab

Thanks for all the suggestions. I took it to local mechanic as we had put new tires on in last 6 month and replace ball joints. They are telling me to take it to a transmission repair shop so have an appt in week to check that out since they didn't find anything. Not exactly the news I was hoping for.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou

Had this same experience... Twice. Might be a good place to look.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:11 PM
kc58ab

I looked at the tires and all but 1 are new in the last 6 months. Didn't see any buldges. Weird thing is today after sitting for days I drove it to work...started out the same vibrating badly. Took it on interstate and got it up to 70 MPH and then it stopped. Thought it would start back up at slower speeds but drove it 25 miles and it was fine. Then on the way back this evening still good. I'm totally dumbfounded now. Trying to decide if I want to still take it in to the tran shop next week.

Quick Reply: Help...is this the transmission ?