2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Still losing oil since plenum fix..

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:36 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not to mention, it sounds like he might have helped destroy the motor by not doing the correct procedure when seafoaming.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Seafoam is for his spark knock. Probably still carbon build-up in there. One treatment isn't going to eliminate years of buildup.

Oil consumption is a whole 'nother kettle o' fish.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:09 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be wondering about valve guide seals.

How does your oil look when you change it? I know when my plenum was blown it was diesel black in a matter of 50 mi.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:16 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have more than a few horror stories from my marine tech days, boat owners would try to Seafoam or fog there I/O motors themselves and I would get the end result of them pouring the whole can down the carb or tb at once when running. A $6 can of stuff ended up costing them $$$$ in repairs because they did not do it right.

For carbon build up go WOT it on the hwy blow the stuff out.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
I'd be wondering about valve guide seals.

How does your oil look when you change it? I know when my plenum was blown it was diesel black in a matter of 50 mi.
Valve seals and or guides will/should have the telltale puff of blue smoke on start up for a min or two then dissipate, were as oil control rings will let oil past all the time and you may or may not see it at all out the exhaust but will find it in the intake.

Last edited by merc225hp; 08-26-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-26-2013, 02:27 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Valve seals and or guilds will/should have the telltale puff of blue smoke on start up for a min or two then dissipate, were as oil control rings will let oil past all the time and you may or may not see it at all.
Yeah, that's right.

My bad.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

The motor is toast/needs rebuild I'd say ... blue smoke says it all.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 PM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your getting ahead of yourself saying my engine is toast buddy.. lol

My engines compression is 180 psi on all cylinders give or take a few psi.. My compression is actually a tad high because I have carbon build up.. As for my blowby.. If I had high blowby my compression would suck wouldn't it ?.. I don't feel any blow by over the pcv hole if I unplug it and rev the engine...

I don't blow blue smoke out the tailpipe.. You miss read... the blue smoke was after using seafoam after I put my plenum back together but it went away after a min or two.. My O2 sensor was also very clean when I replaced it.. But.. You should have seen how dirty my intake valves were. I don't have any kind of smoke coming out the tailpipe when I drive or when it starts up.. My oil pressure is always between 30 and 40.

The engine is very strong when I drive it and I still get around 6.7-7.0 seconds 0-60 with it which is what these Jeeps get.. It just is still losing oil somewhere.. When I use seafoam I slowely let the booster line suck it from the can.. Not enough to stall the engine.. I haven't stalled it before... but it did get close and it sounded like it wasn't running on all cylinders when I did it, so I stopped it and turned it off. I guess maybe I need to go super duper slow huh ?

Last edited by candymancan; 08-27-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by candymancan
I think your getting ahead of yourself saying my engine is toast buddy.. lol

My engines compression is 180 psi on all cylinders give or take a few psi.. My compression is actually a tad high because I have carbon build up.. As for my blowby.. If I had high blowby my compression would suck.. I don't feel any blow by over the pcv hole if I unplug it and rev the engine...

I don't blow blue smoke out the tailpipe.. You miss read... the blue smoke was after using seafoam after I put my plenum back together but it went away after a min or two.. My O2 sensor was also very clean when I replaced it.. But.. You should have seen how dirty my intake valves were. I don't have any kind of smoke coming out the tailpipe when I drive or when it starts up.. My oil pressure is always between 30 and 40.

The engine is very strong when I drive it and I still get around 6.7-7.0 seconds 0-60 with it.. It just is still losing oil somewhere
I stand corrected, sorry and good luck.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 PM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think i'll ever be able to find this oil leak.. but it cant possibly be the plenum am I right ? I fixed it and it still slowely going down.. so it couldn't be the plenum again... I dunno, and I think if my compression is this high maybe that's whats still causing the predetonation im hearing.. ? I don't have the exact numbers off hand on my compression but I do know a few cylinders were around 185psi.. Which to me seems awfully high am I right ?

Quick Reply: Still losing oil since plenum fix..