2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The New Guy Needs Help-1998 RAM 1500 5.2L 2WD EXT Cab

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:19 PM
rkingk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The New Guy Needs Help-1998 RAM 1500 5.2L 2WD EXT Cab

I've driven a Toyota 4Runner for the past twelve years. I just bought my first Dodge. I now own a 1998 Ram 1500 5.2L 2WD Ext Cab. It has 125,000 miles on it. It needs some work done to it to get it into ideal operating condition. Below is a few of the problems I have found so far:

1. The steering is loose and there is about 1/4 turn of play in the wheel. I've been told I need to replace "the bags around the linkage and maybe the linkage itself". I'm not familiar with how to do either of those and I have minimal knowledge of steering systems.

2. The dash of the truck is riddled with holes and cracks. About half of the dash is missing.

3. I am assuming I have a small Freon leak some where because I have had to add Freon twice now inside of a month. I also think the AC actuator door stuck shut or broken because air will only blow out of the defrost vents.

4. It seems as though I don't have near enough engine power. I test drove an almost identical Ram 1500 before buying mine. It's only difference was it was a single cab. Same everything. For some reason the single cab was considerably more powerful than mine.

6. I am currently getting about 11.5 mpg. I think it should be doing a lot better than that.

I've done some maintenance on it over the past 2 days. Below is everything I done so far:

1. I replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires

2. I replaced the Vehicle Speed Sensor

3. I replaced the Air Filter

4. I put a 16oz can of Sea Foam in the fuel tank

5. I've added Freon twice

Well that's my story in a nutshell. My goal is to get my Ram 1500 running as best as possible. Any input, comments, feed back, suggestions, etc to help me achieve this goal would be tremendously appreciated. Thank You for taking the time to read my post.

PS This is my first time joining and posting anything in a forum. Am I on the Right Track?????

Old 08-31-2013, 03:12 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to DF! I'll move this to the 2nd gen Ram section. Those guys will be able to help you out. Be sure to read the sticky about the plenum in these trucks, that may be your lack of power issue. The dash...well, they pretty much all fall apart.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

1 ... need to check out all steering components with another person to turn the steering wheel back and forth.

2.. Check ebay, for a new dash

3...the evap core is most likely bad, causing the 134a loss. Check valves or broken vac lines are causing the vent problem. Check this thread out, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ild-vents.html

4 and 6 , read the plenum sticky.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:40 PM
Paul DeHayes
Professional

1. Could be an issue of suspension bushings/links, but the steering box itself is problematic from what I hear on these trucks. Look into a Borgeson or Redhead unit.

2. Dash replacement time. There are a few places to get it, LMC being one of them I believe.

3. I'll let some of the other guys chime in on this one, sounds almost like wild vents or a low pressure problem causing it to only blow through the defrost (I could be wrong on this?), Also, see if you can spot any leaks coming from the AC compressor (mine does, still trying to trace it to see if it's the little manifold that bolts into the top of it or if it's the backside of the compressor)

4. Sounds like plenum plate and gasket replacement time. How is your oil consumption?

5. See #4, but when you do the plenum plate you'll want to replace the pre and post-cat O2 sensors, thermostat, and probably the cat as well if you still have one (a blown plenum will cause massive oil consumption and clog a cat in a hurry). Also verify your plugs are still in useable condition after the fact, but more than likely you'll need to replace those again (once again, because of oil fouling).

This is just stuff that is sight-unseen, and I'm sure the other guys will correct me/have something more to add. Welcome to DF and being an owner of a 2nd Gen Ram (they're great trucks once you get them straightened out lol)

Old 09-01-2013, 02:09 PM
rkingk
Question '98 RAM 1500 5.2 Stone Walled-Please Save

I just bought my first Dodge. I now own a 1998 Ram 1500 5.2L 2WD Ext Cab. It has 125,000 miles on it. It needs some work done to it to get it into ideal operating condition. Below is a few of the problems I have found so far:

1. The steering is loose and there is about 1/4 turn of play in the wheel. I've been told I need to replace "the bags around the linkage and maybe the linkage itself". I'm not familiar with how to do either of those and I have minimal knowledge of steering systems.

2. The dash of the truck is riddled with holes and cracks. About half of the dash is missing.

3. I am assuming I have a small Freon leak some where because I have had to add Freon twice now inside of a month. I also think the AC actuator door stuck shut or broken because air will only blow out of the defrost vents.

4. It seems as though I don't have near enough engine power. I test drove an almost identical Ram 1500 before buying mine. It's only difference was it was a single cab. Same everything. For some reason the single cab was considerably more powerful than mine.

6. I am currently getting about 11.5 mpg. I think it should be doing a lot better than that.

I've done some maintenance on it over the past 2 days. Below is everything I done so far:

1. I replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires

2. I replaced the Vehicle Speed Sensor

3. I replaced the Air Filter

4. I put a 16oz can of Sea Foam in the fuel tank

5. I've added Freon twice

Well that's my story in a nutshell. My goal is to get my Ram 1500 running as best as possible. Any input, comments, feed back, suggestions, etc to help me achieve this goal would be tremendously appreciated. Thank You for taking the time to read my post.

PS I'm trying very hard to learn as much as I can about basic auto mechanics. Up until a month ago my knowledge was limited to changing my own oil. I have to start doing my own mechanic work now otherwise I'm walking. Feel free to advise me on anything that might help me.
THANKS

Old 09-01-2013, 02:30 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Why did you start a new thread ? Read the replies in your other thread. Fix what was suggested and go from there. I'm merging this one into your other one.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:41 AM
rkingk

I'm sorry man. I still trying to figure out how a forum works

Old 09-02-2013, 05:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by rkingk
I'm sorry man. I still trying to figure out how a forum works
Not a big deal, do some work to it and let us know the results.

Quick Reply: The New Guy Needs Help-1998 RAM 1500 5.2L 2WD EXT Cab