2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

weird noise during cold start and drive.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 01:23 AM
ramrookie92
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool weird noise during cold start and drive.

okay i have a 2000 dodge ram 5.2 its got 126k with a rebuilt tranny. recently i have noticed when the motors cold started in the a.m if i rev it in park i get a loud noise like a wine scratch noise and it feels like the motor struggles a little. doesnt do it in neutral it disappears and it also stop when i put it into drive until i get the rpms up to 1800 then it will rear its head agian but sometimes more than others. just for some insight i changed my p.s pump to no avail and lubed up my idler pully. i feel like its not my tensioner ? :/ butt... i did recive a build sheet from the guy who rebuilt my tranny. its got a 50,000 mile warranty and i have 38,000 left. he was well aware that i took it offroad. and wanted a strong build.
on the sheet it lists
:master overhaul kit (HD)
front&rear planetary (HD)
rebuilt tourqe converter(wich he custom builds)
and a FULL transgo shift kit.
i also requested a metal shift accumulator spring for more reliablity. any clues would greatly help.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:26 AM
ramrookie92
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forgot to mention that the truck only feels aniemic for the first 30-40 secs of cold start (if i rev it other wise idles fine) and when warmed up runs like a friggin beast nice smooth shifts fast and strong and will runn right up to 4800 rpm and be silk smooth no weird bumps clunks or noises. so idk im friggin stumpped.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:08 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Do a search online for TSB 21-01-00

It was specifically laid out for a harsh shift into reverse, but often the valve body plate was responsible for a haunting moan from the trans that would go away when the fluid warmed up. I had a 99 Durango that did it. I knew what it was and just ignored it.....like most mechanics do to their own stuff

Anyway the TSB may help when getting your parts list together.

Quick Reply: weird noise during cold start and drive.