2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:42 PM
clsoonersfan22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Questions

Ok, so a few days ago, I went out and bought a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L 4x4. Pretty much got a steal on this, anyway a few questions about fixing a couple of things.

1. The cruise control wont work, the light does come on but it wont engage. I did a little research and found out that most likely its a vacuum line under the battery holder that is causing the problem. I havent had time to pull the battery/holder yet but will tomorrow. My questions if its not the vacuum line that is causing it what else could it be? I want to make sure I get this right tomorrow so thats why I am asking now.

2. Ok so when I put the truck in 4x4 the light wont come on saying its in 4x4 mode. Is there a way I could make sure the 4x4 is working correctly? Also how would I go about fixing that light to make sure it works?

3. So originally i wanted a little newer of a dodge but since I got a steal of a deal on this one, I jumped all over it. Anyway one thing I hate about 97 and older dodges is the chrome mirrors. My questions is if I bought say like a 01-98 dodge mirrors, would they be able to fit the '97?

So I thinks thats it for now but I just wanted to say thank you for this forum. I know just about the basics of truck but I am still learning about it. I will more than likely have more questions when I come to them. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2013, 10:26 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

With regard to question #3, I swapped my chrome power mirrors out and replaced them with power towing mirrors. Here is a link to an example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-97-DODGE-RAM-POWER-Towing-Tow-Hauling-Side-View-Mirrors-PAIR-/400565127140?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d438ac7e4&vxp=mtr

Old 09-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

1. If the cruise just flat out doesn't work, it's likely the vacuum line. Not sure what else it would be.

2. Does the 4wd light come on during the bulb check? If so, read here: http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/4X4/4x4_engagment.htm If not, replace the bulb.You should be able to just tell whether or not your in 4x4.. Mark the front driveshaft as reference point, kick it in 4wd, and drive a couple feet; if the point moved you have 4wd. Or you can just turn hard on dry pavement (at very slow speed) and your wheels will jump.

3. Paint your mirrors black or get tow mirrors. 98+ wont fit.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or you could find some grass (preferably not your neighbors lawn) and floor it. If you spin your bak wheels and destroy the grass you're not in 4x4

This is the reccomeneded way

Also, cruise not working could be back speedo sensor. But you're pre 98 so that may not be the case

Old 09-01-2013, 11:02 PM
clsoonersfan22

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
1. If the cruise just flat out doesn't work, it's likely the vacuum line. Not sure what else it would be.

2. Does the 4wd light come on during the bulb check? If so, read here: http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/4X4/4x4_engagment.htm If not, replace the bulb.You should be able to just tell whether or not your in 4x4.. Mark the front driveshaft as reference point, kick it in 4wd, and drive a couple feet; if the point moved you have 4wd. Or you can just turn hard on dry pavement (at very slow speed) and your wheels will jump.

3. Paint your mirrors black or get tow mirrors. 98+ wont fit.
Sweet! thanks for that website as well as the tips. Havent been able to run a bulb check on it yet, will do that tomorrow. Im praying its something electrical. As for the mirrors, thanks for letting me know my drivers side mirror is being held on by some mechanical screws right now. So it looks like my next purchase will be going towards some towing mirrors.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:08 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

If you are going to purchase towing mirrors, be sure to get the added brackets, as they are required to mount/stabilize the extra weight of the towing mirrors. Here's a link to an auction for the mirrors and the brackets:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-97-Dodge-Pickup-Truck-Power-Towing-Mirrors-w-Brackets-Right-RH-Left-LH-Set-/130946544271?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7d05b28f&vxp=mtr

Old 09-02-2013, 01:43 AM
clsoonersfan22

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
If you are going to purchase towing mirrors, be sure to get the added brackets, as they are required to mount/stabilize the extra weight of the towing mirrors. Here's a link to an auction for the mirrors and the brackets:

94 97 Dodge Pickup Truck Power Towing Mirrors w Brackets Right RH Left LH Set | eBay
Sweet thanks so much for the link. I appreciate it. Will order some next payday for sure.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Just know you'll catch a lotta flack for driving with your tow mirrors flipped up with no trailer

Old 09-02-2013, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Wasn't there an ad for someone selling their ghost trailer? Maybe he could pick one up?

Your cruise and 4x4 issues are more than likely related. Both are vacuum operated. A big enough vacuum leak, and neither will work.

Quick Reply: A Few Questions