2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

U Joint

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 11:43 PM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default U Joint

Is the u joint serviceable able to be greased? And what is the probable case of the small pins falling out of alignment if caps are hammered in ? I have to replace the front drive shaft seal and was thinking about replacing the u joint rear
I have 108k on them and tranny was rebuilt 22k ago it wasn't mentioned of the seal being replaced. I was looking at a video about using a vice to pressing them in.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you are asking if "serviceable" means "greasable", then the answer is yes. stock u-joints are non-greasable. when you buy replacements, you have the option to get greasable or non-greasable.

some people will argue that greasable one's are less strong due to the hollow grease tube. i guess that's true, but i'd rather have greasable than non. my favorite brand is the precision(now moog) super strength, but it does require a special grease adapter that costs about $5.

i've hammered in a lot of them, but have learned in my old age that its a lot better to rent the ball joint press at the local parts store and press them in in a more controlled manner.

when installing, remove the cup and add more grease to hold the needle bearings in place.

whenever the ujoints start getting the least bit loose, you should replace them.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:13 AM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that was exactly what I meant. I was watching youtube and saw this guy use a vice as a press and it seemed to work ok...but I will ck on a ball joint press
Appreciate you help

Old 09-07-2013, 01:55 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Don't skimp! Get only Spicer joints: 570x I think is the part number. I get 5 years+ out of them, and much less with anything else. They are non-greasable and last the longest in my experience. You have to shop at an axle shop (like bigrig shop) for them or sometimes they are found online. OEM=spicer.

Quick Reply: U Joint