2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck slams into drive from park when cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:28 PM
kyleveilleux1990
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck slams into drive from park when cold

hi all. i got a 94 Ram 1500 4x4 318. its got a Dana 44 in the front and a 9.25 in the rear. also has a NP-231 transfer case and i had a rebuild on my 46Re tranny about 6k ago. its got 214k on her now. okay so the problem i have is when the trucks cold (sits overnight) and i start it up in the morning if i shift straight into drive i almost always hear a loud bang and it jerks the truck. sometimes violently . once i got out to make sure nothing broke off. ive checked the U joints and they are tight. there's no up and down or side to side play on the shaft from transfer case or the diff. i have not dropped the shaft to check in and out yet. before i had the tranny rebuilt (2 to 3 slipped bad) the same thing was happening. after rebuild it was ALOT better but was still noticeable (at least to me) since then it has been gradually coming back. park to reverse is okay. minor clunk but nothing compared to park to drive. ive tried putting it in neutral for a few seconds then drive and same deal. after that everything seems okay. i still have a clunk form forward to reverse and back but its minor. changed the diff fluid a while back and it had no chips in the teeth or clunks in the bottom. it did have some very very fine metal on the magnet on the bottom. probably a normal amount for the age. 4x4 works great. not sure what it is. could it be the torque converter? like if the fluid drains out overnight. but if so why is reverse okay. or maybe the Xfer case? also i hear a tap/ clunk near the transmission /Xfer case area when i let off the gas a some speeds. mainly higher gears. i have to pull the axel shafts out in a few days cause of a leaking axel shaft seal. is there anything i could look for while im in there?

Old 09-09-2013, 01:06 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are the bands adjusted right?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

If you only have 6k after your rebuild, I would be taking it back to the folks that rebuilt it, and having them take a look.....

Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 AM
kyleveilleux1990
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not sure. how would i check the bands? it goes through all the gears good

Quick Reply: truck slams into drive from park when cold