2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Found this in my tranny pan...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:10 PM
lwiuff
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found this in my tranny pan...

I'm doing some maintenance on my 1998 1500 Sport QC, 5.2L, 46re, and found this stuck to the magnet. Anybody have an idea what it is? I lost 2nd gear a couple of months ago, so was using the throttle to control the up-shift to 3rd, and thought it was worth taking a look inside before I took the truck in to the tran$mi$$ion $hop.

No metal shavings, no burned fluid, just slightly less than clear - but this has me wondering. This is only my 2nd post on the forum, so apologies if I started a thread I *shouldn't* have!

http://s884.photobucket.com/user/lwi...tml?sort=3&o=0

Old 09-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's the band anchor, no wonder you don't have second gear. It goes between the end of the adjustment screw and the band. put it back on, adjust, and you'll have second again.
There's a strut on the other end of the band, make sure it's in place.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:36 PM
lwiuff
Amateur

Awesome! Arde, thanks so much! Know where I can find a photo so I can stick it back where it belongs? Do I have to remove anything else besides the pan and filter?

Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 PM
lwiuff
Amateur

I found something on another forum with a couple of photos, but I'm not so sure about how deep I have to go into my transmission - looks like I am going to be pulling my valve body and then some. Kinda out of my league here - guess I get to learn something new.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Arde
All Star

There's some photos here someplace, you'll have to do some searching to find them. Nope, don't have to remove anything else to put it back on. Just back off the adjustment screw near the front of the trans. on the drivers side after loosening the lock nut enough to get it back on. But like I said, make sure the strut on the other end of the band is in place.
You can download a factory service manual in the FAQ/DIY section.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Arde
All Star

Originally Posted by lwiuff
I found something on another forum with a couple of photos, but I'm not so sure about how deep I have to go into my transmission - looks like I am going to be pulling my valve body and then some. Kinda out of my league here - guess I get to learn something new.
Yeah, should have added you need to remove the valve body. It's all really simple and straight forward. If it's been like that for two months, that struts probably laying on top of the valve body. Make sure you use an lbs/inch torque wrench for the adjustment and reassembly.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:50 AM
lwiuff
Amateur

Originally Posted by Arde
Yeah, should have added you need to remove the valve body. It's all really simple and straight forward. If it's been like that for two months, that struts probably laying on top of the valve body. Make sure you use an lbs/inch torque wrench for the adjustment and reassembly.
Yep! Really tight quarters to reach the solenoid and the valve body throttle levers. Thanks - I found another thread about a shift kit that had some good photos. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...t-46rh-re.html

Just nervous about screwing something up! Probably good prep for doing the timing chain and the kegger fix/mod.

Quick Reply: Found this in my tranny pan...