2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Unusual Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 01:06 AM
keepitrunning
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual Problem

Hoping for input on this one as I am starting an 11 hour drive early tomorrow.

I just discovered that the climate control/fan control rotary switch on the dash of my 98 ram appears to be acting up. The first two positions on the switch are air conditioning cold and colder. The other positions determine where heat is directed: floor, mid, upper and defrost. It turns out that the air conditioning clutch is engaging on all positions except one. This might explain the slight loss of mpg.

Question for you is this: would it be acceptable to disconnect the two wire connecter that powers the A/C clutch as a temporary fix? I don't have time to remove the switch and diagnose it.

It's starting to get chilly here in the Okanagan and I am headed north. I will need my defrost and don't want that A/C running full bore.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:33 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. Unplug the compressor clutch and it won't energize.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:54 AM
generaljr
Professional

...or remove the fuse, i believe that the compressor is still needed for the heater/defrost to work properly

Old 09-20-2013, 08:15 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by generaljr
i believe that the compressor is still needed for the heater/defrost to work properly
Yes and no. The compressor will cycle when on defrost, but it isn't needed. Non a/c vehicles don't have a compressor to cycle.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:36 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by kejobe
Yes and no. The compressor will cycle when on defrost, but it isn't needed. Non a/c vehicles don't have a compressor to cycle.
AC greatly improves defogging performance (inside the windshield fog), not really needed for strictly defrosting though (outside the windshield frost).

Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
AC greatly improves defogging performance (inside the windshield fog), not really needed for strictly defrosting though (outside the windshield frost).

In addition to that, having the A/C cycling when the defroster operates ensures the A/C system circulates (its) oil, thereby lubricating all of the internals and keeping the seals soft and pliable. Hard seals is what causes leaks and a loss in performance.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

The only two positions the compressor doesn't run are the floor vents and face vents.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:18 PM
keepitrunning
Rookie

Thanks to you all for clarifying the operation cycles of the a/c compressor. As you have described, I don't have a problem at all.

Quick Reply: Unusual Problem