2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard Starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 10:16 PM
mwadeson1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Starting

I just purchased a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab Short box sport with a 360 cubic inch motor. I noticed it starts hard it seems like it takes a while to get the fuel to start turns over great but just doesn't want to fire. What should I check I will check fuel filter tomorrow but I am wondering what I should check next. It doesn't seem to matter wheather it is cold or warm just ran or not. I have a very limited garage so some stuff I can check without a lot of tools would be great.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:01 PM
topkin
Veteran

I am going through a similar situation right now. First thing I did was replace my relay under the hood because they are like $5 and its basicly like replacing a fuse.

Second thing I'd check since you say it doesnt matter if its just been running or not is to see if it has spark. It's best if you can purchase a spark checker, there are ways to check this without getting the tool but it's not nessicarily safe for you if you haven't done this before. If your not getting spark start to work your way back from the plug ie.. wire, cap, rotor, distributor.

My truck has good spark so... Third thing I did is hook up a fuel pressure guage to the fuel rail. When you turn the key to the on position the psi should shoot up to 40 as well as when the truck is running. If it's low like in the 20's you may have a bad regulator or pump, on this truck they are both contained in the moduel in your tank. When I let the truck sit I noticed the pressure leaked out all the way (wich it should keep some due to the job of the regulator) The fact that I smelled gas when the truck started and that the pressure went back up to 40psi instantly told me my fuel pump and regulator was good. so I came to the conclusion I may have a bad injector leaking out into the cylinder.

You can usually borrow a fuel checker guage or spark checker from some auto parts stores, but they are good to own in general.

I hope my situation could help you out or get you going in the right direction

Old 10-07-2013, 01:19 AM
Paul DeHayes
Professional

Does it do it cold or hot? I wonder if the crank sensor is flaking out....Something to look into after checking the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and coil I'd think

Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 AM
mwadeson1

I messed with it this morning I cycled the key three times and it started right up

Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 AM
SilverSS
Captain

Originally Posted by mwadeson1
I messed with it this morning I cycled the key three times and it started right up
That definitely points towards fuel pump. Check pressure with a gauge as stated above. The only fuel filter on these trucks is the one on the fuel pump.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^^+1...Leave the key on for a few seconds to let the pressure build before using starter.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:32 AM
mwadeson1

This morning I turned on the key heard pump run for just a sec tapped key and pump kicked in for probally ran 5 sec started right up

Quick Reply: Hard Starting