2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission shift to overdrive issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:21 PM
williamjarrell90
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission shift to overdrive issue

I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 2 wheel drive , 5.9 liter. Long story short 2 weeks ago my truck stopped shifting into overdrive. Took it to dealership they said it was governor solonoid and solonoid sensor. replaced both. It shifted pretty well at first then it started not wanting to shift up again. I then replaced the output speed sensor and once again it started to shift correctly, then went back to not wanting to shift up but would. Same thing with the Throttle position sensor.

It now shifts if i turn overdrive off and get my rpms up and turn overdrive on. It will also shift occasionally without that.

Shifts fine all other gears.

Took it to autozone to read the check engine light and it said 3 to fourth solenoid, no revolution per minute drop @ 3 to forth shift confirmed

So I suppose my main question would be is this solenoid separate from the governor solenoid and if so where and how to replace. If it is the same as the governor solenoid list some things i could have done wrong in the installation.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated thankyou.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:09 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF

Did the dealership replace the sensors? If they did, the dealer should have tested the overdrive circuit with a 300 psi gauge. To find out if the fluid is applying the piston.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:20 AM
williamjarrell90
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no i did it myself and i didnt eeplace the seel between the pice thay comes of and the valve body bot sure . not sure if that could have somethi g to do with it.

Last edited by williamjarrell90; 10-08-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission shift to overdrive issue