2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mode $06 test fail

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 12:35 AM
ngmillar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mode $06 test fail

Ok I am failing TID: $51 CID:$01 min 254 current 1

I have come across this site in my search for answers.

http://www.aatecusa.com/obdIIpro/mem...ex.htm#chryser

Basically I need help understanding what it means and what I can do or need to replace to fix the problem. I have an 01 Ram 1500 Sport 2wd. Thanks for any help guys.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

That test is for purge flow monitor. Apparently, it isn't seeing changes in engine RPM, or O2 sensor outputs when the purge valve is triggered. Bad valve? Clogged lines? Bad wiring?

Old 10-13-2013, 01:05 PM
ngmillar
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That test is for purge flow monitor. Apparently, it isn't seeing changes in engine RPM, or O2 sensor outputs when the purge valve is triggered. Bad valve? Clogged lines? Bad wiring?
Thanks by any chance could it also be related to a failing o2 sensor which I also know I have and need to replace.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Possibly, but, there is more than one component to the test..... are you getting any codes? Or was this just the results of an emissions test?

Old 10-13-2013, 01:19 PM
ngmillar
Professional

Possibly, but, there is more than one component to the test..... are you getting any codes? Or was this just the results of an emissions test?
I don't have any codes just the results of the test and only problems is a slightly rough idle but I figure that's just from the o2 and my cat possibly being clogged since the plenum was just done by me when I got the truck in August and I know it's been blown for awhile PO(step dad) never wanted to fix it though.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Clogged cat and bad O2 could certainly contribute to that test failure. Best bet is to address the known problems first, reset PCM, and drive it for a while. I think there is a procedure to make sure all the monitors complete their tests in the shortest time possible, remember reading it here at one point, but, for the life of me, I couldn't tell you what it is.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:33 PM
ngmillar
Professional

Clogged cat and bad O2 could certainly contribute to that test failure. Best bet is to address the known problems first, reset PCM, and drive it for a while. I think there is a procedure to make sure all the monitors complete their tests in the shortest time possible, remember reading it here at one point, but, for the life of me, I couldn't tell you what it is.
Thanks appreciate all the help hopefully I can get these things fixed soon and everything will be goo

Quick Reply: Mode $06 test fail