2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lifting front end with taller coil springs but stock shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 12:50 PM
dtdrtd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifting front end with taller coil springs but stock shocks

Hey y'all,

This is my first post so forgive me if this has already been answered in this forum. I have a 98 1500 5.9 with a 2.5" leveling kit. I am running 35x12.5 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's and obviously they rub a little. I am wondering if I can stuff 3" taller coil springs in the front without getting new shocks. If 3" is to tall would 2" work without upgrading the shocks. I would then do an add-a-leaf in the rear to level it out but I wont have issues with that.

Thanks

Old 10-22-2013, 01:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

if you go over 3" total lift, you will have to address other components as well. (pitman arm, control arms, track bar, and yes, shocks.)

If your tires are rubbing on the control arms, more lift isn't going to help in any event.

Welcome to DF!

Old 10-22-2013, 04:22 PM
dtdrtd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my tires are rubbing on the corner of the fender. ive done some research and it seemed like people are saying its easier to piece together a lift rather then buy a kit from rough country or skyjacker---so that what im trying to do. i dont want it much higher i just want to get to where the tires wont rub so i figure 2 or 3 more inches on top of the leveling kit might do the trick

thanks for the welcome!

anyone else know if the stock shocks will extend far enough to accommodate 3" taller coil springs and if not maybe 2"?

Old 10-22-2013, 04:29 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
if you go over 3" total lift, you will have to address other components as well. (pitman arm, control arms, track bar, and yes, shocks.)

If your tires are rubbing on the control arms, more lift isn't going to help in any event.

Welcome to DF!
Its right there, yes you will need new shocks and other parts.

Quick Reply: lifting front end with taller coil springs but stock shocks