2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starter starting to go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 06:17 AM
Relex
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter starting to go?

I really haven't been driving my truck until recently. After letting it sit for a few months with going out and starting it and taking it for a little spin. When I had to start using it as a dd when I went to start it, it just clicked two times and then turned over.

I've been daily driving it for the last two months and now when I go to start it, it cranks slower than normal and starts...other times it cranks really slow and starts. My battery terminals has some corrosion on them so I'll start with cleaning those.

What else should I check?

Old 10-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd check fuel spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor. When's the last time you replaced these things? Then I would check fuel pressure.

How well does it run?
How old is the battery?

I've never heard of the starters going out in these trucks, although I'm sure it does happen.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

My starter went at ~163K... the "click click" with no cranking, then away it goes, is likely the contacts on the starter.
I believe there is an overhaul kit for them, but a good new starter can be had for ~$90-$100.

Slow cranking is more likely battery or dirty terminals.
Batteries are only good for 3-4yrs, especially in cold weather.

Last edited by Spillage; 10-27-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:39 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

Your description makes it sound like the corrosion at the terminals (bad connection) or the battery are the possible problems. Start with cleaning all of the corrosion off the battery terminals and charge up the battery with a trickle charger to ensure the battery is fully charged. You may also want to load-test the battery to see if it can still properly handle the load of the starter. You can pick up a decent battery load-tester reasonably at Harbor Freight or take the battery to your local AutoZone or Advance Auto for testing for free.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Relex
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up going out this morning to take the truck over to walmart and have the battery checked. I went out, went to start it, it cracked a little longer, started for a split second and shut off.

Pulled the battery, took it to Walmart, had them test it and it ended up being bad.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Got a new one in there yet? Running??

Quick Reply: Starter starting to go?