2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Start and run issue after Alternator problem (sorry long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Bad_Moose
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start and run issue after Alternator problem (sorry long)

Last night I was 20 miles from home and got the "check gages" light, the battery gauge was down to the first line. I shut everything off that I could and buy the time I got home it was down to the red line, I had almost no headlights and it literarily died in driveway.

Upon checking the connections the post that connects to the battery was broken. So I disconnected the battery and put the charger on it. This morning I could see that the stud was partially eaten through and that's where it broke.

Wife's been sick (no pay check) and its rent week, & I'm broke and need the truck.

So I took the shield off the stud, slipped a piece of shrink tubing over it and reattached the wire, taped the hell out of the connection. Good news is that worked great, (and I will be ordering an Alternator this week), but now after the first test run the truck will fire right off but the RPMs drop and it stalls, if I keep my foot in it run and steady out at the normal idle, Now after many starts It will start right off almost stall the RPMs drop to about 400 and then come back up to the normal idle.

IS this just the computer relearning after the battery getting so low?

Old 11-03-2013, 12:06 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_Moose

IS this just the computer relearning after the battery getting so low?
It sounds like it, yes. IAC memory keeps getting reset.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:20 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by TNtech
It sounds like it, yes. IAC memory keeps getting reset.
Something still doesn't sound right. OP, can you give me your readings from a volt meter with the truck off, and the truck running please directly on the battery terminals.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Bad_Moose
Rookie

I know this sounds stupid and really doesn't seem like it you have been the problem but I think I just fixed it.

I didn't re-clean the battery terminals since I had just done that a couple of weeks back when I did the plenum. All I did was reconnect the negative side and called it good.

My Bad I should know better after 35 years of working on vehicles.

Everything is back to normal now that I took the time and cleaned them again.

Last edited by Bad_Moose; 11-03-2013 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Start and run issue after Alternator problem (sorry long)