2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

47RE TC Drainback problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 PM
regnichlas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47RE TC Drainback problem

Hello,
my name is Peter and Iīm writing from Austria.
Iīve already searched the forum, but I havenīt found the right answer for my problem.
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 with the 8.0 L engine and the 47RE transmission.

Problem:
If the truck rests a definite period of time (1 day or longer) this problem occurs. After starting it and shifting from P to D, it takes a while before the truck will start to move forward (longer than 5 seconds).

Iīve already searched the internet for my problem, but I didnīt find the right answer and the countless diffrent solutions for my problem are confusing me more and more.

I hope you guys could help me and give me the right answers and hints to solve my problem.

Thanks for your efforts,
Peter

Old 11-06-2013, 08:38 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your check valve has been drilled out. Remove the hose on the cooler line and clean it out to see. If you can see through it, the valve is gone, if you can't well, something else is up.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:36 AM
regnichlas

thanks for your reply !
I searched through my technical manuals and I couldnīt found anything like the check valve. In my manuals only the 5.9 Cummins is equipped with this valve.

I try to find the location of the valve, but Iīm not sure which hose I should inspect.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:21 AM
ftpzrt

Originally Posted by regnichlas
thanks for your reply !
I searched through my technical manuals and I couldnīt found anything like the check valve. In my manuals only the 5.9 Cummins is equipped with this valve.

I try to find the location of the valve, but Iīm not sure which hose I should inspect.
It should be located on the passenger side of the radiator near the bottom. You will see the two small factory transmission cooler lines coming along the frame rail. It is located directly in line and looks like a fitting approximately 8 inches from the radiator. follow this link.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ve-delete.html

Old 11-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's been removed, that's a good thing. If not, remove it. They tend to plug up causing your trans to overheat.
On a cold start up, rev it lightly in N for just a little bit before shifting into gear. If you just can't live with that, add an external filter.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:08 PM
regnichlas

Thanks for your replys !

Iīll check the hose and will remove this valve.

With kind regards from Austria,
Peter

Old 11-08-2013, 02:19 PM
Hotpappa
Amateur

My 98 1500 4x4 5.9 started this hesitation to go into gear when cold several years ago. I thought if was a trans problem developing. Is that not necessarily true?
I also noticed that when I pull the trans pan I get 8 quarts of oil. Would that be because that valve has already been removed? I have had the truck since new and I havent removed it.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Gaius
Veteran

Just pop it to N for a few seconds before drive. Or if you install the Transgo Jr shift kit it'll allow fluid pump in Park.

Quick Reply: 47RE TC Drainback problem