2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Idler Pulley Washer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Bad_Moose
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idler Pulley Washer?

Is it supposed to have a big washer in front of it?

I'm thinking it should have one that covers the entire bearing similar to the one on the Belt Tensioner pulley.

I had the idler pulley replaced about 16 months ago when I was on a road trip, the dealer only charged me $35 to put a new one on thought was a great deal at the time.

But today when I pulled it off it had no washer on it at all. I had to dig around to find a washer that fit over the center part of the bearing.

Before someone asks its on my '99, 5.9l gas.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:24 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On my 96 it does and it is shouldered to fit inside the bearing, I just serviced the bearing in it. 99 might be different.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:55 AM
Bad_Moose
Rookie

Looking at some schematics it shows the spacer on the front, that would mean that it was installed backwards. The spacer is on the wrong side, going to switch it around this evening before the temps here drop into the teens. Wonder if that’s why it went bad again so fast.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 AM
97r/tram
Veteran

Originally Posted by Bad_Moose
Looking at some schematics it shows the spacer on the front, that would mean that it was installed backwards. The spacer is on the wrong side, going to switch it around this evening before the temps here drop into the teens. Wonder if that’s why it went bad again so fast.
Probably didn't support the bearing properly.

Quick Reply: Idler Pulley Washer?