2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 06:14 PM
bigbluedodger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problems

i noticed the other day my truck was running higher rpm's and acted like it wouldnt go into o/d. today my o/d off light came on, it wont go into o/d at all and my transmission temp light came on. does this mean my transmisson is going out?? or can i flush it with all new fluid and see what happens? the fluid looks a little burnt and is a little low

Old 12-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you actually have a trans. temp sensor?
Is the check valve in place? If so, remove it or drill it out, change fluid and filter, and hope for the best.
Burnt fluid=not good.
The check valves tend to plug up causing the trans. to overheat. A hot trans. wont shift into OD.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

What year is your truck?

Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 PM
bigbluedodger

a 2000. i did some research and it seems that its the torque converter. is this big money problem?

Old 12-05-2013, 10:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ok, your trans temp sensor is in the trans. (part of the governor pressure sensor)

If you haven't done something about the check valve in the trans line, do that FIRST, and see if it doesn't solve the problem. You will find the valve in the soft line between the hard line, and the bottom fitting on the radiator. It unscrews from the trans side, and needs a special tool on the radiator side. I couldn't get one of the 'combo' tools to fit in there, and ended up getting JUST the 3/8ths quick connect tool. (which is, conveniently enough, the same size for the fuel rail..... but, that's another repair. )

I think there are a couple of different DIY's in the faq section for the trans check valve.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:49 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I remember correctly, seems like if it's too COLD outside the tranny also won't shift into OD.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by armynurse
If I remember correctly, seems like if it's too COLD outside the tranny also won't shift into OD.
Yeah, but the PCM won't whine about that one.

Mine shifts into O/D fairly quickly, even when stone cold in the dead of winter...... No clue what the trans temp is at the time though....

Old 12-24-2013, 11:45 AM
wlatour
Amateur

MY Dodge Ram 2500 5.9l will not shift into OD if temp is 15degrees or below. It's in the Owners Manual about the OD Shifting and Temps.

Quick Reply: transmission problems