2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Running rich

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 02:44 AM
eddiekimberly
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rich

My 2001 Ram 5.2 2wd is running rich. Really rich. When at a gas station, I can smell my truck over the ambient smell. Also, at times, its hard to start. I have done the plenum fix, new dist cap, rotor, wires, plugs. Only part of ignition system now replaced yet is the coil. Replaced the coolant temp sensor, cat converter, and upstream o2 sensor. What else should I look into replacing. It is horrible. Gas mileage seems to be down a bit but not tremendously, but it has to be bad for my engine. TIA,

Old 12-13-2013, 10:00 AM
r-g_richards
Rookie

Did you replace both O2 sensors, one on each bank? Also disconnect the battery and discharge the computer by turning on the light switch and then off. Reconnect the battery and let the computer relearn the running system.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:05 AM
TheBigRedTruck
Veteran

If that fails, try replacing the MAP sensor.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your truck will only have one upstream sensor inless it's a Cali truck. Those things are weird. Are you getting any codes at all?

I would start looking at fuel injectors. What's the fuel pressure? Should check that also

Old 12-13-2013, 12:19 PM
eddiekimberly
Professional

Originally Posted by r-g_richards
Did you replace both O2 sensors, one on each bank?
Only have 1 upstream o2 sensor.
Hope its not the injectors
I will reset the PCM and see what happens, If not, I will get a junkyard MAP sensor. If it fixes it, great. If not, it will be cheap. Then I can move on to the injectors.
Not getting any codes at all.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:35 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Probably would have a CEL if the map sensor was that far out of whack. My guess would be fuel related. Look at injectors and check fuel pressure. How does it run besides the smell? Do you smell raw fuel out the exhaust or in the engine bay?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:32 PM
eddiekimberly
Professional

Bit hard to start sometimes. Say I crank it 6 times a day. One day it will fire right up 4 times and be slow to start 2 times. Next day, it may start fine all 6 times. Next day it may be hard to start all 6 times. Just never know. Then when it does fire up, it usually idles rough (just barely can tell it) for a second then straightens right up. The smell seems to be coming from the exhaust. Think I may have an injector leaking down into the cylinder as it sits and flooding that cylinder. How can I test individual injectors for leakdown. Thought about getting an inspection camera and pulling the plugs then checking the cylinders for pooling gas.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:27 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Try a fuel pressure test first. You can loan a gauge from some parts store. Should be around 46 to 50 psi. When you shut engine off, note if pressure drops and how fast. Could pull the plugs and look for a wet one.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:09 AM
eddiekimberly
Professional

I will see if I can get my hands on the fuel pressure tester tmw. I love learning new things about my vehicles... tho I would prefer learning from other peoples situations SOMETIMES.

Quick Reply: Running rich