2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ethanol gas

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 12:45 AM
mossy765
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ethanol gas

I live here in Muncie IN and they are wanting to build a biodiesel plant that will produce biodiesel and ethanol gas. I've heard that it doesn't increase gas mileage but is a whole lot cheaper. So can anyone tell me if ethanol gas is good for a Dodge engine. Ryan

Old 10-08-2005, 02:08 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: ethanol gas

Ethanol gas isn't good for ANY gasoline motor...at least not the ones that weren't designed/tuned for it. It doesn't increase gas mileage, and in most cases it decreases it. They've been using it in larger cities (Chicago, Milwaukee, etc.) for years now. It's the reason my Uncle used to bring 5 gallon cans with him when he came to visit. Nasty stuff. Too bad it's hard to find a station now that doesn't sell it. I only know of 2 so far within an hour of here that sell non-blended gas. And I live in the middle of nowhere! And it gets worse...the Presidents energy plan calls for 15% ethanol blend (most blends right now are 5% or 10%) by 2009.

Old 10-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Trippen
Professional
Default RE: ethanol gas

I agree with Burning....In NM during the winter they used to mix it into the gas...As it would warm up my 76 Dodge Power Wagon with a 360 carborated motor...would vapor lock and get like 5mpg...I usally got about 7-9. I havent noticed the effects on my truck now..but very few texas stations have it I tend to steer clear unless I have too get it.

Quick Reply: ethanol gas