2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 2wd Suspension Rebuild Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 03:22 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You should still do a comp test on the motor, this is where you start period.

There are a few motor build threads going on there have a read through them to get some ideas motorwise, gear wise, and just gen basic repairs that should be done IF the motor test out good comp wise.

I brokedown your parts list.

Tune-up list more or less

MSD-8.5 plug wires-an ignition coil,
autolite 3923 plugs(?),
optima battery incased,
Power Master mini XS Torque starter,
120 alternator

Performance upgrades list

PaceSetter long tube headers and 3" pipes (muffler not sure)
updated edelbrock (oem now) throttle body,
round filter (not sure which one yet),

Exhaust dual 2.5" or single 3" no need to go any bigger.

Mini starter, other than weight don't see a need for one.

Jeeps and our trucks came with a opt 136 amp alt find one of those, remember the higher the amp the more hp it uses.

Round open air filter, Good for looks might hurt hp, stick to the stock airbox and use a drop in K&N filter.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:19 PM
2K.Rattlez
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright Merc, notes re noted Thanks a bunch.. my first step by far none is rebuilding the tranny. The same guy can do a comp, vacuum & electical test for $100, and dyno for extra. He specializes in Dodge & Fords, he has his own circle, dirt & derby race team.
Im looking at a hi amp alt and optima battery cause Im adding some sort of aux lights onto a front push bar, a stereo sub system, and plan a air horn with aux air tank.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:28 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Personally, I'd ditch the PowerMaster starter idea. Unless you are planning to install a very high compression engine, the stock mini starter is more than adequate. As for a round air filter, here is one option that will work:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/casaircleanp.html

Old 01-05-2014, 05:29 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You might look at adding a second Batt and a very good batt isolator to the charging system.

There are a few good mods you can do motor wise, a couple of good ones are 1.7 roller rockers, sct tuner or Mopar performance pcm.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:46 PM
2K.Rattlez
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sure glad I have 2 mechanics who are good people, and with good shop rates. No matter the price of item, I'll have to save up to buy it or buy a part per check (weekly) after bills... Added power robbers are going to be some sort of aux/off road lights, dual subwoofers & amp beside a deck & 6x9 speakers. Yes Id love to add a air tank/kit and not just for horns...but I can do with out it.
What I do in my Rango now will be the same as the Ram but a lot safer with extras and without blowing a radiator part, ripping off the front arm & hub, unplanned punched cat converter or ripping off the whole rear body including hatch once... Being a good guy, pulling people out of ditches, down the road to safety, or an emergency eviction... anyways sorry....

Dual battery in a non diesel?? If its better...
Ive done my homework and narrowed down to these guys: http://www.12voltguy.com/DUAL-BATTERY-KIT.html

Can I just get an optima yellow top? http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us...nd-deep-cycle/

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 2wd Suspension Rebuild Help