2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 2wd Suspension Rebuild Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:17 AM
2K.Rattlez
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 96 Ram 2wd Suspension Rebuild Help

Early 96 Ram 1500 2wd 318 & small 46RE, stock everything for now.. In the pic its on bricks & blocks...

I need some help with decisions on rebuilding my suspension, well the whole truck too. Im dumb on Ram but smart on 1st gen Rango..This will be a "budget build" then into a Baja Nascar Truck
Im starting from the dirt on this truck,any/all help needed. MY NOTES ARE COMING FROM YALL! So flood the thread or PM me some stuff...

Q:Whats the height lift to level the front with the back,,2" cups I been seeing,,OR springs from a 2500 Ram, I was suggested from a junker?? And what shocks too? Tires maybe 245/75-16, used for now unless I can find some good price new A/T for rear at least.
Im getting all bushings/rubbers changed, new steering bar, pump & pulley, brakes and that sloppy steering fixed http://dodgeramsteeringstabilizer.com/
So far I think thats it...?

Originally the truck would bounce and squeak, and above 60mph was a ditch wish...

Attached Thumbnails 96 Ram 2wd Suspension Rebuild Help-ram.jpg  

Last edited by 2K.Rattlez; 01-04-2014 at 01:27 AM. Reason: info add
Old 01-04-2014, 09:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Measure heights to top of wheel opening front to back. The difference is how much lift to level it.

Don't know if you can just swap springs on the 4x2......

Polyurethane Bushings! Graphite impregnated if you can find them, greaseable would work too.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:14 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

I'd check your upper and lower ball joints for wear and replace, as necessary. Also, check your power steering gearbox - they are famous for getting loose internally with age. Borgeson or RedHead are great steering box replacement options. As for shocks, I'm using Rancho 5000 units on the front and rear and have been happy with them. I'm also using a steering stabilizer from these folks (2WD stabilizer link provided):

http://www.custom-diesel.com/dodge-p...tabilizer.html

Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 PM
2K.Rattlez
Amateur

Thanks Guys! My notes are adding up, now for the money. So far I calculated 2" lift poly cups will work, and Bilstein 4600 HD shocks. Now seriously... Is it ok to buy the steering parts bundles (or anything bundled) from EBay or no? I cant decide which online store to choose: Summit Racing, JC Whitney, Jegs...who else? I always get all I can from my local AutoZone first though...

Old 01-04-2014, 08:15 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No ebay junk, Moog problem solver is one of the better ways to go.

Gotta ask what's a Baja Nascar truck?

Old 01-04-2014, 09:10 PM
2K.Rattlez
Amateur
Talking My truck plan...

Ok thanks Merc...
This Ram is going to be a daily driver, and occasional trailer haul, Im no mudder cause Im too busy with work & home. But I like dem sugar cane field short cuts! I like to "use" my truck, dropping/level the rear suspension was a slight thought. But Im in Louisiana with pot holes, soft yards, curves & ditches.
My Baja Nascar Truck build/plan: mostly stock body with exception of running board steps & flares, mid/mild suspension stance, wide wheels & tires (not sure size yet), in front of axle dumped exhaust, de-badged and moldings, number 22 with name on doors, and my christian belief related bed band decal. Did I mention air horn under hood? Not sure if Im going to do all black & smoked exterior or a (newer ram)dark blue with smoked items. Not a big fan of chrome & polish... Exterior, mechanicals and safe driving are my main points

Old 01-04-2014, 09:30 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

I buy some items off eBay, however, price, part quality and seller rating are what I tend to hone in on when buying via eBay. I've had great success buying parts from web forum classifieds, local (and sometimes non-local) craigslist, eBay, web vendors, Summit Racing, Jeg's, Advance Auto, NAPA, AutoZone, etc. I think its good to shop around using multiple sources.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:57 PM
2K.Rattlez
Amateur

Annd by now I may just buy body parts, lights, & interior from EBay. Summit Racing has my vote for a wide selection of stuff available, precisely the motor & ignition tune up stuff. And the exhaust, and the suspension & steering. and a selection of wheels & tires, And then ok yall get it... JcWhitney is 2nd place.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:03 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for letting me and others know what your ideas are. Sounds basic not to expensive type mod list, more about looks not get up and go fast goodies shy of the exhaust.

Have you done a comp test on this motor?
Have you read the plenum sticky thread yet?

If you are going to run fields you need top grade steering/suspension parts, ball-joints, tre's, shocks are all going to take a beating.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:58 PM
2K.Rattlez
Amateur

The truck came from my father in law for free, with a burnt tranny. 318 5.2 L Motor with 124,711 miles is in good shape, driving & sound wise. It actully has a take off & high end rumble! I have read the plenum thread, and plan on it.
For horsepower I plan/listed: PaceSetter long tube headers and 3" pipes (muffler not sure), mostly MSD-8.5 plug wires-an ignition coil, autolite 3923 plugs(?), optima battery incased, Power Master mini XS Torque starter, 120 alternator, an updated (edelbrock oem now) throttle body with the round filter (not sure which one yet),, and what else? So far thats my list for power, a rebuilt (in the long run) rear end to handle up to 33's also....

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 2wd Suspension Rebuild Help