2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Low heat coming out of heater

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014 | 08:38 PM
rllandon
|
Default Low heat coming out of heater

I have a 2000 Ram 1500 4x4 the heater is only blowing out warm air. The heater hoses going to and from the heater core are hot and the heater core is hot. I have back flushed the heater core and burpped the system several times and it dosent seem to help. The temp gauge reads about 180-190. As far as I can tell the accuater motor is working. I am all out of ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-04-2014 | 09:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Probably still have an air bubble in the heater core. Backflush it again, but, try and keep as much fluid in the heater core, and lines, when you hook it back up.

Probably wouldn't hurt to center the temp dial, and pull the little motor for the temp door anyway, see if the coupler is broken..... it may just be cracked, so it only 'kinda' works....

Old 01-07-2014 | 07:34 AM
rllandon
|

Thanks for the advise I'll try it

Old 01-08-2014 | 07:57 AM
Tra23
Amateur

These are prone to clogging over time. Especially if someone ever used a stop-leak product in the system. The water pump pushes straight into the heater core so I doubt air is the problem. If the engine is running at the right temp and the coolant is full, you probably need to replace the core.

Old 01-08-2014 | 11:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tra23
These are prone to clogging over time. Especially if someone ever used a stop-leak product in the system. The water pump pushes straight into the heater core so I doubt air is the problem. If the engine is running at the right temp and the coolant is full, you probably need to replace the core.
Air trapped in the heater core is indeed a problem with these trucks. It's a design flaw. Look at how the hoses are routed, and where the pipe for the core are located in relation to the rest of the cooling system. Yep, heater core is highest point......

We have also been rather successful with restoring heat to a fair few members simply by backflushing the heater core, to purge the air out of it. This was HIGHLY effective on my own truck, and I didn't get anything aside from liquid out of the core when I flushed it, nor did I use anything other that water.

Old 01-08-2014 | 05:00 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain

I have this problem. My heat has been crap since I did my water pump a few weeks ago. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could add a relief valve to the top of the heater core?

I've managed to get it out little by little by popping the radiator cap when I'm warming up my truck and revving it a bit once it's flowing, filling it back up and then driving to work.

Old 01-08-2014 | 05:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Install a 'flush' T at the top of the outlet hose right by the heater core. Start the engine, crack open the T, purge the air.

Old 01-08-2014 | 09:40 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain

Genius sir, pure genius.

Old 01-09-2014 | 04:50 PM
warrenlevihursh
Amateur

where would you get a Flush T like this?

Old 01-09-2014 | 04:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Any parts store. They sell 'flush kits', that have a variety of different fittings and such, and some even come with chems. Probably Wal-Mart, and Meijer have them as well.

Quick Reply: Low heat coming out of heater