2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Jet chip testimony, did you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Brandontenold
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jet chip testimony, did you like it?

Stage 2 jetchip in my dodge, new thermostat, opened throttle body, thrush open exhaust, slightly better mileage, better throttle response.

Nothing amazing but I do like this chip.. Maybe it's a placebo effect and it's not doing anything..

Anyone else have one?

Old 01-07-2014, 12:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts

I would wager that your improvements were from the other mods, not the jet chip. The ONLY thing the jet chip does is fool the computer into thinking the intake air temp is a bit cooler than it actually is, so, it runs the engine just a bit richer. That is, until the engine gets to 108*, and drops into closed loop. Then, the PCM pays attention to the O2 sensor, and overrides any modifications the Jet chip may have been managing. Basically, in closed loop, the chip does nothing at all.

If you search around here, you will find numerous threads debating exactly this topic, along with other snake-oil, gimmicky add-ons that make claims that are just flat out false. (throttle body spacers, for instance.) At least you got yours for free though, so you didn't waste any money on it.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:37 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

I agree with the above, spot on. It's more the other mods you did that you feel. All it is is a resister and some wires that change the air intake temperature sensor signal sent to the PCM. Makes the computer think it's colder, so it richens up the mixture, untill it goes into closed loop mode.

Last edited by jkeaton; 01-07-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sell the chip to some guy who thinks it does something. Make some money!

Old 01-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those chips dont do anything as said. Lol. I agree with Ham Bones idea

Old 01-07-2014, 01:21 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As posted snake oil, put 12v through it and watch it fry.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Technically, it IS an Integrated Circuit chip. Thing is, the only two pins they use on it are simply a low value resistor.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:33 AM
Brandontenold
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I agree with the above, spot on. It's more the other mods you did that you feel. All it is is a resister and some wires that change the air intake temperature sensor signal sent to the PCM. Makes the computer think it's colder, so it richens up the mixture, untill it goes into closed loop mode.
I did notice it runs richer but the ECM does learn from it..

I was fooled by the placebo effect, but find it hard to drop 300 bucks on a chip when I can repair my plenum, timing chain, rust hole the size of Texas and get a tank of gas with 300 bucks, not only that but I'm huge into drones and amateur UAVS. I got the chip to test and use from a freind who is running it on a dodge dakota RT, it actually seems to wake that truck up a little bit but it is Severely modded.

Glad to hear.

Quick Reply: Jet chip testimony, did you like it?