2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Least restriction HEADERS?

Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

See how much more it is for the coated headers, as it WILL be more.... and then check summit, and jegs. See who has the best price.

Get the y-pipe too, it will make the install MUCH easier.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I just did the Pacesetter LT's, and Y-pipe on mine... finished it off with a 3" Magnaflow system and 4" tip.
I'm very happy with it, as I gained back the low end I lost with the FI Airgap, and gained more mid range and up... it sounds great too... deeper throaty sound, a little louder, but not too loud.

I had a minor issue with a little interference with the balance weight on the front driveshaft... since you're not 4x4, you wont have that problem... regular cab short box there isn't room for a Cat, but if you're any other combo, there will be room though the rear O2 will need an extension cable... I put the rear O2 just in front of the muffle, and haven't had any codes... other than the balance weight clearance, fitment was straight forward.

PS; got mine from Amazon at a good price.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 PM
JRedRam
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage
I just did the Pacesetter LT's, and Y-pipe on mine... finished it off with a 3" Magnaflow system and 4" tip. I'm very happy with it, as I gained back the low end I lost with the FI Airgap, and gained more mid range and up... it sounds great too... deeper throaty sound, a little louder, but not too loud. I had a minor issue with a little interference with the balance weight on the front driveshaft... since you're not 4x4, you wont have that problem... regular cab short box there isn't room for a Cat, but if you're any other combo, there will be room though the rear O2 will need an extension cable... I put the rear O2 just in front of the muffle, and haven't had any codes... other than the balance weight clearance, fitment was straight forward. PS; got mine from Amazon at a good price.
Maaaaan, that's exactly what I wanted to know! You're an angel from the Ram heavens! Haha!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

I just did the Pacesetter LT's, and Y-pipe on mine... finished it off with a 3" Magnaflow system and 4" tip.
I'm very happy with it, as I gained back the low end I lost with the FI Airgap, and gained more mid range and up... it sounds great too... deeper throaty sound, a little louder, but not too loud.

I had a minor issue with a little interference with the balance weight on the front driveshaft... since you're not 4x4, you wont have that problem... regular cab short box there isn't room for a Cat, but if you're any other combo, there will be room though the rear O2 will need an extension cable... I put the rear O2 just in front of the muffle, and haven't had any codes... other than the balance weight clearance, fitment was straight forward.

PS; got mine from Amazon at a good price.
How did you address the clearance issue?

Old 01-10-2014, 06:59 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How did you address the clearance issue?
Heat and a prybar... I worked about an 1½" long section of the collector, and flattened it a bit... I now have a ½" clearance on the weight.

I still get contact under hard acceleration off the mark, but once over 25mph, I can't get it to hit.
I'm going to (hopefully) fix this with the motor mount inserts, to stiffen them up and reduce the amount of torque reaction.

Once again, this is only a 4x4 issue... 2WD wont have this problem... If I didn't have a balance weight in the position it is in, I likely wouldn't have this problem.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JRedRam
Maaaaan, that's exactly what I wanted to know! You're an angel from the Ram heavens! Haha!
I got the ceramic coated, but if you're not concerned about the heat retention or eventual surface rust, the cheaper aluminized ones should be fine... that's all the Y-pipe is anyway... they used pretty thick wall pipe... it is not light weight, or tiny sounding by any means... not being on salted roads, they should hold up pretty good.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:20 AM
JRedRam
Amateur

I got the ceramic coated, but if you're not concerned about the heat retention or eventual surface rust, the cheaper aluminized ones should be fine... that's all the Y-pipe is anyway... they used pretty thick wall pipe... it is not light weight, or tiny sounding by any means... not being on salted roads, they should hold up pretty good.
I think I may go with longtubes and an X pipe with or without a muffler, I'm not too sure yet. I heard the magna super 44s on YouTube, but none in person.

I'm looking for a nice deep choppy rumble.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JRedRam
...I'm looking for a nice deep choppy rumble.
This is what I got.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:12 PM
JRedRam
Amateur

That's exactly the sound I'm looking for. I can confidently say, there is not 1 Ram in Miami that sounds that nicely.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:36 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Let us know what you end up with, and how it turns out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Least restriction HEADERS?