2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slow to start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:10 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Annihilator_X9
Turn the key to run and wait for te fuel pump to stop and then do it a couple more times. Try starting after that.
I did that this morning and it started right up. But I don't want this to be signaling the end is near for my truck's fuel pump and have it die for good when I'm up in Alaska with it in May, so I'll change it out here in the next few weeks. I put 10 gallons of gas in it a day-or-so ago, and I'd rather burn it up than try and siphon it; but we'll see.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Oh; and I checked the negative battery clamp. It looks cracked, but is on there tight. I'll get another ground strap to replace it with (cheap and easy; can't hurt - might help).

Old 01-14-2014, 09:14 PM
stow_senior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a fuel pump issue in the fuel pump there is basically a check valve that when the pump turns off stops the fuel/pressure in the lines from draining back. this valve wears out and stops working thus causing pressure to be lost and making the truck build pressure back in the line in order for it to start this check valve is not servicable and you will have to buy a new fuel pump to fix the problem im dealing with this problem now for the second time. also make sure you dont drive on e very often burns the pump up lol

Old 01-15-2014, 01:06 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The check valve is in the regulator/filter and it is serviceable but is a pita to change out.
Chrysler part number is 04798825

Old 01-15-2014, 10:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Yeah, but, those things are like 100 bucks aren't they? And you get a new one with the new fuel pump/module.....

Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 PM
stow_senior

my pump i bought aftermarket and it had the check valve asembly built into the fule pump, so did my other one i took out. but maybe it was possibly changed befor in my trucks 20 years lol just my 2 cents for what i have delt with

Old 01-15-2014, 02:06 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, but, those things are like 100 bucks aren't they? And you get a new one with the new fuel pump/module.....
Yep $125 but that's cheap compared to what I pay for a Mopar fuel pump. They are all I use now and this one so far is working good.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:52 PM
pipeking
Veteran

I'm also saying fuel pump. I limp my truck like that for 2yrs until it finally went last week. check fuel pressure, first, then replace pump. I lifted the bed to do it took me 2hours. just make sure if u go that route to unclip the tail light wires from under the bed in the back, I almost ripped them out!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:32 PM
BBartow
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stow_senior
this is a fuel pump issue in the fuel pump there is basically a check valve that when the pump turns off stops the fuel/pressure in the lines from draining back. this valve wears out and stops working thus causing pressure to be lost and making the truck build pressure back in the line in order for it to start this check valve is not servicable and you will have to buy a new fuel pump to fix the problem im dealing with this problem now for the second time. also make sure you dont drive on e very often burns the pump up lol
This is helpful. I guess its time to replace the fuel pump. I've been doing the key trick since I bought the truck almost 9 months ago.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:24 PM
stow_senior

yep just replace it befor you end up dead on the side of the road with a 200 dollar tow bill. nothings worse than breaking down because of something you already knew was bad in the first place.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by stow_senior
yep just replace it befor you end up dead on the side of the road with a 200 dollar tow bill. nothings worse than breaking down because of something you already knew was bad in the first place.
This. Yep. Exactly.

Quick Reply: Slow to start