2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck won't start...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 09:51 AM
cabisson
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So - the rain stopped late last night, and it got chilly again. Just went out to the truck, 37 degrees and more dry than it was last night, turned the key, and it starts right up like "BOOM, I was BORN for this!". Drove it around a bit, ran perfectly. Shut it down and started it back up a couple times, no problems...

While I'm super thankful that it's running again, it's left a giant "WTF" in the back of my mind. Is my truck just a whiny b*tch that doesn't like the rain? Am I going to get stuck in the woods the first mud puddle I drive through? That's a confidence builder, right there.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Get yourself a spray bottle, fill it with water. Open the hood, start the engine. Use the spray bottle to wet things down under the hood. See what happens.

If you get a light show, time to change the plug wires.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:09 AM
cabisson
Amateur

Sounds like I should preempt this activity by saying "Here, hold my beer and watch this!"... I'll give that a shot this afternoon!

Old 01-12-2014, 11:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by cabisson
Sounds like I should preempt this activity by saying "Here, hold my beer and watch this!"... I'll give that a shot this afternoon!

It isn't that bad........ just be careful where you put your various body parts. I have done the 700 RPM boogie..... it LOOKS really funny, but, isn't the most pleasant of experiences.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:39 PM
stow_senior

you could have cracked plug wires , i had this problem only found out cause i tried starting it in the dark and could see all the christmas tree lights all over my engine bay lol ether that or your fuel pump went out on you, also check all your relays and fuses for fuel pump and in injectors maybe something went out there.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:28 PM
cabisson
Amateur

Since I got the truck started again, I kinda slacked on the responses here...

I tried the whole squirt bottle thing, with no results. I did learn that some components heat up a lot quicker than I thought they would, but in regards to the starting issue, nothing.

But hey, at least she's running again!

Old 02-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Natej687

My truck has been doing the same thing. It's an 04 4.7 and was running fine yesterday went out to go to work this morning and it would crank but never fire up. I tried when I got home from work and it fired right up. Any suggestions? I've changed the fuel pump and crankshaft position sensor.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Natej687
My truck has been doing the same thing. It's an 04 4.7 and was running fine yesterday went out to go to work this morning and it would crank but never fire up. I tried when I got home from work and it fired right up. Any suggestions? I've changed the fuel pump and crankshaft position sensor.
You have a 3rd gen Ram. Things are rather different there, need to post up in the 3rd gen section.

Welcome to DF though.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start...