2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"chips-programmers" ? what do you guys have? 2 gen.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 AM
cj5orion
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "chips-programmers" ? what do you guys have? 2 gen.

98 5.9 magnum
thinking of gettin a programmer for her.

what'd you guys get? happy?

Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 AM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCT from Hemifever is what most guys get. I've been contemplating getting one myself as my truck has the deathflash on it.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Yep, SCT from hemifever is considered the best 'bang for the buck' for our trucks. Don't bother with the chips. They do nothing.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:46 PM
RageGuy
Professional

I have a Superchips Flashpaq 3840 - Works great, I love it. Comes with 4 tunes, Mileage, 87 Octane, Tow and 91 Octane Performance.

If you can afford 91 Octane gas in these times its a noticeable power increase, also increased throttle response. Really easy to break those tires loose.

The 87 Tune is great too, still noticeable upgrade from the deathflash.

Mileage tune kind of castrates the truck a bit, so you have to give it more gas to get it going, kind of negates any fuel savings.

Haven't tried the Towing tune so cant comment on that one.

Can also adjust the Torque Converter lockup which is a BIG plus, Anyone who has one of our trucks knows how annoying it is hitting Lockup at 40MPH then having a castrated truck and having to pretty much pin the pedal to get power back, I have mine adjusted to not hit Lockup till around 50mph.

Last edited by RageGuy; 01-13-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:44 PM
sniper dave
Professional

I have the SCT tuner. Overall, its worth the money. I noticed two things-throttle response was significantly improved by it reducing the "bog" when starting from a standstill. I'd say the lag/bog in acceleration is 75% better than stock. (nearly gone now)

The other thing I noticed is it seems to be "smarter" as in shifting at better points.

Just don't buy too much into what you may read online and in reviews. I saw countless comments such as "its like a totally different truck".....not true at all. "I can spin the tires!"....not even close. I can't even chirp them. You'd think an advertised HP gain in the neighborhood of 50 would be more noticeable. I look at it like this-you can put a pig in a suit-but its still a pig.....

Would I still buy it-yes, but going into it with realistic expectations is important.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:17 AM
hemifever
SPONSOR

3.55 gear trucks will always have a little trouble getting tires to spin and then the 4x4 trucks with the added drivetrain loss and weight also make it a little tough spinning tires. On a dyno though, the engine produces the same power. But the chassis/drivetrain dictate how much of that power gets to the wheels. In other words, yes, it can be deceiving what some folks report as power gains vs. others (same for mpg gains).

Now that the new dodge X3 SCT tuner is on the market tuning is avail again. We had a stop in sales for about 6 months due to SCT discontinuing the old product.

The new X3 has a killer data logger and can hold 10 tunes vs the older x2 model having no logger and holding 3 tunes

Old 01-14-2014, 07:43 AM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If someone were to find a used x2 tuner, do you still support them?

Old 01-14-2014, 10:04 AM
cj5orion
Rookie

some good advice her gents...thanx.
in lookin for a tuner...for me..I'm not lookin for some "tire smokin-fuelly dragster-hot rod" performance gains.
milage...big truck-big engine=losing battle.

I'm jus "improving the truck a lil,(jus finished a camo vinyl wrap)
jus wanna have her run good,peak perf,etc

Old 01-14-2014, 12:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,257 Likes on 3,004 Posts

Originally Posted by hemifever
3.55 gear trucks will always have a little trouble getting tires to spin and then the 4x4 trucks with the added drivetrain loss and weight also make it a little tough spinning tires. On a dyno though, the engine produces the same power. But the chassis/drivetrain dictate how much of that power gets to the wheels. In other words, yes, it can be deceiving what some folks report as power gains vs. others (same for mpg gains).

Now that the new dodge X3 SCT tuner is on the market tuning is avail again. We had a stop in sales for about 6 months due to SCT discontinuing the old product.

The new X3 has a killer data logger and can hold 10 tunes vs the older x2 model having no logger and holding 3 tunes
Will the X3 deal with tire size?

Quick Reply: "chips-programmers" ? what do you guys have? 2 gen.