2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 1500 need some help with towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 04:06 AM
joe90rs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 1500 need some help with towing

I got a 94 1500 2wd reg cab LB. its has the 5.2 with the 3.5 gears. i know its not a towing machine but i have a 990lb trailer empty and it had a hard time towing it up some hills. i bought it with a airraid intake and a bigger exhaust. i will be towing the trailer with a bunch of tools soon on a regular basis and want to know if this truck will work out and if anyone knows the towing specs on this peticular truck. i believe it has a mod chip too. i would think that having these performance upgrades would give me HP but hurt my low end torque for towing. anyway, any advise and info would be great, thanks

Joe

Old 10-10-2005, 05:33 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: 94 1500 need some help with towing

Are you towing with the O/D button in the off position?

Also if it has a "chip", then that is hurting your towing performance. You are not supposed to tow with a chipped vehicle.

A 1,000lb trailer is well within the truck's towing capacity. It all depends on how many tools you plan on hauling though.

Old 10-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Changing your gears will give you better mechanical advantage for towing, but could be harmful to your gas mileage at highway speeds when not towing.
Are you running stock tire size?
I agree with Burning, remove the chip.

Old 10-11-2005, 02:42 AM
joe90rs

Gas milage isnt really a concern, i was getting 6mpg in the big rig i used to have plus i bought this mainly for starting a framing crew and carrying the tools for that.

towing is my main goal so maybe i should get that chip removed. i think its a mopar chip, there is a sticker under the hood that says mopar computer something or other.

also how would i go about it getting the chip removed, would i have to take it somewhere or can i do it. im pretty good with working on cars but ive never messed with computers before.

what does it do if i tow with it chipped? can it hurt the engine?

anyways, thanks

joe

Quick Reply: 94 1500 need some help with towing