2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Track bar issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Flynbryan19
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track bar issue?

Guys, I'm getting a "clunking" feeling in my front end when coming through turns or hitting bumps. My tires are also feathering heavily on the outside shoulders. I had thought this was my track bar, so I replaced it not even 300 miles ago. Now, the clunking is back and when I look under the truck and have the wife turn the wheel full left to full right if I watch the yoke of the front axle I can see the whole front axle shift side to side. [:@]

What is the deal here? Is this worthless track bar bad already??? I was going to take it in to get it aligned this afternoon and have the tires balanced and rotated, but if its still a mechanical issue I'd say I need to get it resolved first...... Help.[X(]

Old 10-10-2005, 01:23 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran
Default RE: Track bar issue?

My understanding of the front suspension on these rigs is that in order to check your track bar, look at the bar and joints themselves. Not the axle. If the bar moves excessively at the frame mount (that is the most noticable) or at the axle mount, then the bar is bad. If not, the bar is more than likely A-ok. The other items to look at are your shocks, and upper and lower "control arms" and the associated bushings for those arms.

I get a bad thump on my passenger side, and I've already replaced the track bar because I know it was obviously toasted. Shocks are relatively new Monroe's, so I don't believe them to be bad. The only thing left are the control arm bushings and I haven't had the time to dig into those yet.

I'm sure that some others around here may have some more advice or specific ideas what it wrong. Good luck!

Old 10-10-2005, 01:47 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

did you do the install? if so then I'd suggest you remove the axle side enough to put a bit of 30 wt oil on it and re-torque it as tight as you can get it, then do the same for the frame side. I had mine come loose on me and found that they werent torqued down enough. you should be able to do the axle side w/o removing the bolt all the way, there is a nut with a flag on it to prevent it from turning while wrenching on the bolt, back it out enough to drop a few drops of oil on it then re-torque it.

Old 10-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Flynbryan19
Rookie

I did do it myself, but I used a torque gun. Should I have used my trusty torque wrench? Does anyone know the correct torque for the two bolts?

I just got back from the shop having my alignment done. Hopefully this will help the wear issues.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:30 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

According to my trusty Haynes manual:
TRACK BAR
BALL STUD 1997 and later.............................70 Ft-Lbs.
Track Bar Bolt (axle mounting).......................130 Ft-Lbs.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:38 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

just a thought but did you check the tierod ends? not sure how much it would affect it but.. when i got in reverse my front pops... i know my trac bar is crapped out and my tierod ends are about done too... when i was young and stupid (3 weeks ago) i went offroading ALL time in my dodge and i know the excess 4weel driving in mudd and alot of nasty bums and ditches tore up my front and rear ends..

Old 10-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Flynbryan19
Rookie

How would I go about checking the ball joints? I've checked the wheel bearings by lifting the front end and checking the wheels for play. They appear tight. Is there a way to check the sway bar or do they really wear out?

I've also been reading on here about people with steering box issues that sound similar to mine. How do you check this?

Old 10-12-2005, 10:19 PM
4DrMopar
Captain

They are right,it IS the trackbar it sounds... I think those nyumbers for the frame end sound VERY low. If I remeber it was a VERY high number well above #130 or so, you shoudl call your dealer and ask for parts tellthem you need the otrque specs for the track bar at both ends.... if it comes loose (it has) and you keep driving it (you have) you will destroy that one too

Old 10-13-2005, 03:47 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

actually when I did mine it was a thurenfab tracbar and the spec on the frame side (drivers side) was 380+ ft lbs of torque. it's a different setup, a much bigger bolt and nut. the other axle end was less since it was a stock bolt. it still however comes loose and some extra torque wouldnt hurt.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:12 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

Well, so much for my Haynes manual being trusty!!

Quick Reply: Track bar issue?