2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemi swap

Old 01-21-2014, 07:36 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I get confused when I see people post upgrade ign and bigger injectors. I have a decently built motor and other than a msd wires and coil I am still using the stock ign system. I had a msd 7al in the truck but took it out as I saw no benefit to using it until I reached very high rpms.

Is Ken's Kustom Auto Machine still in wpg on Wall street, he might be able to help you find a good 440 or bigger motor. You might look for an old motor home that has a 440 in it and pull it.

What's good old Auto-smack say on a motor swap these days, things were changing big time when I left that city.

Find that guy that I posted he is in Ont and he did a great job, he is thinking of going to the 6.1 this spring so maybe his 5.7 will be up for grabs.

Off topic: You ever wheel out at Birds Hill Park or the floodway or is that a big no no now.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramboy99
I like the simplicity of the magnum engines aswell but tryin to build one up can be a task to find any part especially the ignition system sad to say from past experience. Plus I love the look of my 2nd gen and for the cost of a newer 3rd or 4th gen I can pick up a written off version with the drivetrain from the local insurance auction for a fraction of the cost(assuming the engine wasn't damaged in the wreck). And I guess one of the main reasons is I want something that no one else where I live has as pety as that may sound. merc225hp I also looked into a 440 or 426 swap but couldn't find much in the way of those engines except for ones that were rebuilt that people wanted to much for or that needed an extensive rebuild as well. Cheapest 440 I found that needed a rebuild and was only a short block was $1000 cdn
Have you considered building a 360 magnum into a 408?

Old 01-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Derick C.
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride
Have you considered building a 360 magnum into a 408?

I personally would not build another 408. I don't feel like there is enough tuning support for these motors and that could be because they are out dated now. I am actually considering going back to a mostly stock 360 and selling my 408.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:38 PM
ramboy99
Rookie

merc225hp haven't been wheelin at birds hill yet, sadly they closed the floodway to 4x4's and even quads from what I remember but I used to take my jeep there all the time when I had it and I've taken my 1500 off-road a few times and got pulled out by my uncles dak quite a number of times aswell.

As for Kens Kustom Auto Marine, do you know roughly where it was on wall? I used to go to tec voc but don't remember off hand ever seeing it plus the only machine shop I can recall near that stretch sadly is piston ring... Ive been in touch though with Brian over at Softys Speed shop and ive priced out a few parts for my 318 before I started lookin into the hemi swap. Ill try and track down the person you mentioned as well and talk with him a bit.

Off topic: when did you leave Winnipeg, and were you ever out for cruise night with your truck?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 PM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Derick C.
I personally would not build another 408. I don't feel like there is enough tuning support for these motors and that could be because they are out dated now. I am actually considering going back to a mostly stock 360 and selling my 408.
Why would you go back from the 408 after you already have it? Is it just not a very streetable motor or...?

Old 01-23-2014, 12:07 AM
ramboy99
Rookie

From what I heard from one guy that has one in his Dak R/T here where I live, he was sayin that he was having a lot of troubles tuning the engine timing and think fuel timing as well...cant remember for sure but I know a friend of mine tried advancing his distributor on his 01 1500 sport with the 360 and after awhile the computer back to the timing off to stock again.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:29 AM
merc225hp
Champion

merc225hp haven't been wheelin at birds hill yet, sadly they closed the floodway to 4x4's and even quads from what I remember but I used to take my jeep there all the time when I had it and I've taken my 1500 off-road a few times and got pulled out by my uncles dak quite a number of times aswell.

As for Kens Kustom Auto Marine, do you know roughly where it was on wall? I used to go to tec voc but don't remember off hand ever seeing it plus the only machine shop I can recall near that stretch sadly is piston ring... Ive been in touch though with Brian over at Softys Speed shop and ive priced out a few parts for my 318 before I started lookin into the hemi swap. Ill try and track down the person you mentioned as well and talk with him a bit.

Off topic: when did you leave Winnipeg, and were you ever out for cruise night with your truck?
Ken's was in the first block off Portage ave.

Softy's still around eh

I left Winnipeg in the early 90's so no this truck was never in the peg. Head out to the gravel pits by Stony mountain there were some great places to wheel out there. I know MB very well to well I lived there for 25 odd years, born at St B Hospital.

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-23-2014 at 04:33 PM. Reason: removed rude comment about softys
Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I heard from one guy that has one in his Dak R/T here where I live, he was sayin that he was having a lot of troubles tuning the engine timing and think fuel timing as well...cant remember for sure but I know a friend of mine tried advancing his distributor on his 01 1500 sport with the 360 and after awhile the computer back to the timing off to stock again.
Because you need a tuner. Hemifever has tuned a ton of these things. He might not get it right first time all the time but he works with you till he gets right. Turning the dizzy doesn't do jack for timing. It can only mess you up.

Pre-97 is a lot harder because they are not obd 2 and there are no tuners for them. Only performance pcms that you have to ship off to get retuned.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:51 AM
merc225hp
Champion

Hemi F posts he can do 96 and up, so they are supported by sct.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 AM
Derick C.
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AppelH
Why would you go back from the 408 after you already have it? Is it just not a very streetable motor or...?

Its just not as good as I expected. I think it would run better in an older carbureted truck or car and it uses twice as much gas as my 360 did.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hemi swap