2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemi swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Derick C.
Its just not as good as I expected. I think it would run better in an older carbureted truck or car and it uses twice as much gas as my 360 did.
Still got some tweaking to do on your tune then. Got a wideband O2?

With a scanner that can do logging, including the wideband data, HF can dial you in.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Derick C.
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Still got some tweaking to do on your tune then. Got a wideband O2?

With a scanner that can do logging, including the wideband data, HF can dial you in.

Yes I have a wideband, no data log, and I don't think HF is as good as he says he is.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Well, he IS about the only alternative that you have.... so, give him the info he needs to get it right.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:38 PM
AppelH
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Derick C.
Its just not as good as I expected. I think it would run better in an older carbureted truck or car and it uses twice as much gas as my 360 did.
That's a lot if fuel lol. From the couple of threads I have read on them in the past, people get reasonable fuel mileage with them until they take advantage of the extra power. But these all are second hand accounts so who knows

Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Derick C.
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Well, he IS about the only alternative that you have.... so, give him the info he needs to get it right.

I have given him all the info he has asked for and then some. I just got tired of it. Maybe one of these days I will get interested in it again.

Originally Posted by AppelH
That's a lot if fuel lol. From the couple of threads I have read on them in the past, people get reasonable fuel mileage with them until they take advantage of the extra power. But these all are second hand accounts so who knows

Yea it is but I have only checked the fuel mileage towing my trailer. I don't know how it does without the trailer.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:01 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How did this become a 408 thread? 408s are overrated for what you get I think, a 360 will provide plenty of power, I'd go with a stock Hemi before a over complicated 408.

Also a 5.7 liter Hemi Engine is probably one of the easiest engines to work on PERIOD!. Super simple and I hate to say it, but its easier than my beloved 360 to work on and often times the vehicle they're in is harder to work on than the Hemi itself. I put new intake gaskets on a Hemi and it took me like 40 minutes to do, try doing that with a keg manifold!. The best part about the Hemi is that you don't even need to use the plug wires, because they fire primarily off of the plug under the coil and the wired plugs only fire on the down stroke to burn off emissions....yes they are not needed for it to run good! No dynos have shown any losses with running only 8 plugs on a 5.7 Hemi.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 01-24-2014 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Derick C.
Professional

[QUOTE=JoshSlash87;3126117]How did this become a 408 thread? 408s are overrated for what you get I think, a 360 will provide plenty of power, I'd go with a stock Hemi before a over complicated 408. QUOTE]

I agree. That's why I commented about staying away from the 408. Trust the guy that actually has one.

The hemi swap would be cool if you had the funds

Old 01-24-2014, 12:59 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Derick C.;3126233]
Originally Posted by JoshSlash87
How did this become a 408 thread? 408s are overrated for what you get I think, a 360 will provide plenty of power, I'd go with a stock Hemi before a over complicated 408. QUOTE]

I agree. That's why I commented about staying away from the 408. Trust the guy that actually has one.

The hemi swap would be cool if you had the funds
I think the 408 is a little lame in the sense that I'd rather expend the 360's limit or get a hemi. Personally I got a great mix of power & mileage with my 97 Ram 360 that is pretty much stock, I've got a glasspack, brand new plenum gasket, new tune up, 3923 plugs and last week taking my GF 230 miles each way to Mall of America on quarter tank getting 21mpg! and being able to smoke a 06ish 5.3 chev truck on the hwy really cemented that all I need is a good performing mostly stock truck. The only thing I'm doing to my 360 is put the headers I bought 2 months ago on in spring and buy a set of 1.7 roller rockers, that's all I need for it. My truck really does get great mileage and the power it provides makes it a no brainer to keep mostly stock & reliable.

I actually bought a 5.7 Hemi for $350 on craigslist 4 months ago that threw a #7 Rod and thankfully enough it didn't wreck any other part of the bottom end, so I'm going to buy a used piston & rod and throw it in the motor since the head survived without damage & the cylinder wall looked perfect. I still have no project in mind for the motor but it was a no brainer to buy for $350 when your average salvage yard Hemi is going for $2500 to $3000, I put a hemi in a Durango for a guy that bought a hemi for $1300 that had 90,000 miles on it plus a 90 day warranty, but that obviously isn't a very common price. Deals are there if you look, people often times settle for whats easily in front of them.

Here's one reason to go with the Hemi....you can see the complete intake valve when you look down the ports!.

The thing with the Hemi is the intake design & how it sits flat & level on the head ports, this can allow water to pool up around the intake & when the intake gaskets get old it will suck that water in and hydro-lock causing the motor to break a rod, usually its a #6 or #7 rod that gets thrown (right below where the cowel leaks rain & car wash water), because a lot of these Hemi's that threw rods came in Durangos with a bad cowel design that allowed water to drench the engine bay. My thinking on this was since water can essentially come from anywhere, why not permatex those new intake o-ring gaskets in as well to create a triple seal once they are seated and the permatex oozes on both sides of the gasket? so that's what I did on the Hemi I worked on, just to have a little blanket room incase water does get on the intake.

If you do the above to your first gen 5.7 Hemi, they will be a pretty bulletproof motor.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 01-24-2014 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: hemi swap