2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New engine installed now low power and poor fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 03:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

For as common a problem as it is with the 2nd gen dodges, it seems to be an awfully well kept secret...... most mechanics I talk to have never even heard of it. Witness the number of threads you see here for poor performance, crumby gas mileage, oil consumption, etc..... All of which can be traced back to a blown plenum.

Don't expect much from the shop...... they probably don't know about these things either. They just install engines.....

Old 01-24-2014, 03:45 PM
jpjaj2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey you,
question can I have this loss of power and low mileage without large oil consumption as I have lost some but didn't seem like much(at least to my garage). 1 quart in 3000 miles, figured due to being a new remand motor.

the funny thing is when I mentioned it to the garage about the plenum today after checking it due to this forum and all you guys, they said ya that could be what's causing the problem. so I do believe they knew about it yet still didn't suggest it.
Live and learn hopefully they will help me out with the labor at least.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

I think a fair few folks have had plenum issues, without the massive oil consumption. A quart in 3000 miles on a new engine isn't really what I would consider "excessive"... but, it does seem like more than it should use..... see what the garage has to say, and take it from there I guess.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:35 PM
jpjaj2

thanks again ill keep posted. hopefully get this engine running right so I can finish the rest of the truck then start my two wheel ram project.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:24 AM
Kraiger
Veteran

Originally Posted by JoshSlash87
That would have been long gone & burnt up!. Cats get fkn HOT!.
Very true but I have seen it. Seen full rags and pieces. Glad you found your issue though.

Quick Reply: New engine installed now low power and poor fuel mileage