2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RPM Power Band

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014 | 11:32 PM
Dieselweasle
|
Professional
Default RPM Power Band

I've been searching for a little while trying to find if there is a general RPM for getting the most of my truck, by power, torque and MPG. I know I'm not going to see any magic from this, but wondering what everyone's opinion on the best RPM range to stay within while on the highway.

I've been too nervous to run a full tank of gas and haven't had the opportunity to run straight highway so far to get an idea of what kind of gas mileage I will be getting when the spring and summer get here for travelling, fishing, camping etc. But, between a mix of city and highway driving, I have averaged around 14 and take long trips when the snow is gone, so any and all input on the subject would be greatly appreciated!

Kind of on topic, I know if I kept my old fold with the 300 L6 at 2150 at 70MPH, I would get 21-22MPG, anything above or under would go down to 18-19. By next Friday, I will be installing a tach, since my truck doesn't have one and that stupid shift light is worthless; if I shift when it comes on, the truck is gutless

Old 01-24-2014 | 08:33 AM
Annihilator_X9
Captain

14 is actually really good for these trucks. I do mostly City driving and average 10 to 11 with my 318 running completely stock gears and tire size.

Old 01-24-2014 | 08:44 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

Yes you have a manual count your lucky stars/

3200 is max torque http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/specs/5_2v8.htm

for mpg you want to keep it just past lugging it. In as high a gear as possible.

So basically gutless, youre doing it right

Old 01-24-2014 | 10:26 AM
Dieselweasle
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Ham Bone

for mpg you want to keep it just past lugging it. In as high a gear as possible.

Alright, thank you! I don't mind being gutless in 5th on the highway, it's just in town it's annoying. That light barely takes a second to come on after shifting haha.

I do have bigger tires, in the 265/75R16 flavor, with 3.55's, but so far, have been doing fairly well with gas mileage, in comparison to what others are reporting. The reason behind me not running a straight highway tank is because, I have the 35 gallon tank and my wallet would cry if I filled from empty!

Old 01-24-2014 | 10:37 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

Who needs that dummy light anyway?

Your tires shouldn't make a big awful difference. Some trucks came stock with those. Plus you have a manual. Lucky.... 1500 360s never came paired with a manual.

In town it is annoying yea. I like to be able to have a little go left, so I tend to shift a little later. Because people are stupid and don't know how to drive.

But when i drive stick its in a little focus it gets 33 mpg foot the floor or babying it!

Just be glad you don't have a slushbox. I am going to get rid of mine one of these days.

Old 01-24-2014 | 01:28 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Originally Posted by Ham Bone

Holy ***** 14!!!! maybe in the city! Dude tune that damn truck up & change plenum gasket asap!. I took my gf with my 360 truck to Mall Of America 230 miles one way on quarter tank, averaged 20mpg with my 97 360. 98+ Death Flashed Rams get worse power & mileage than previous years do. I took 18 gallons at the gas station and the needle showed even with full and when I got 230 miles to the Mall Of America it was resting on the 3/4 full mark. Needless to say, $70 there & back in a big truck to cover the 525 or so miles we drove was quite exceptional!. I even threw a check engine code on the way back for my coil wire that wore through resting on the valve cover and I still got great mileage!.

Best speed for mileage? 70mph I think its about 2100 rpm. That's what I do all the time and I churn out great mileage.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 01-24-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2014 | 01:53 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain

You're the first person to ever say 20mpg with one of these trucks.

Old 01-24-2014 | 02:12 PM
sniper dave
Professional
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JoshSlash87
Holy ***** 14!!!! maybe in the city! Dude tune that damn truck up & change plenum gasket asap!. I took my gf with my 360 truck to Mall Of America 230 miles one way on quarter tank, averaged 20mpg with my 97 360. 98+ Death Flashed Rams get worse power & mileage than previous years do. I took 18 gallons at the gas station and the needle showed even with full and when I got 230 miles to the Mall Of America it was resting on the 3/4 full mark. Needless to say, $70 there & back in a big truck to cover the 525 or so miles we drove was quite exceptional!. I even threw a check engine code on the way back for my coil wire that wore through resting on the valve cover and I still got great mileage!.

Best speed for mileage? 70mph I think its about 2100 rpm. That's what I do all the time and I churn out great mileage.
I can't believe nobody raised the BS flag!! I'd kill for gas mileage like that! Whatever your doing, good for you brother!

Old 01-24-2014 | 03:12 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain

That's what I meant to do in my previous post. There's no way to get 20mpg with these trucks. Maybe the V6 single cab shortbet 2WD if you're lucky. The thing is a giant brick with wheels.

Old 01-24-2014 | 03:24 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by sniper dave
I can't believe nobody raised the BS flag!! I'd kill for gas mileage like that! Whatever your doing, good for you brother!
14 with a 5.2 5 speed isn't really a big deal.

IMO, keep it around 60-65 in 5th for best mileage.

Quick Reply: RPM Power Band